OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you thought about running a herbie setup?
You could use the two holes for drain and emergency drain; then run pvc from pump up behind the tank and over the edge with a u-tube design. Just a thought.
Actually yes. I'm open to suggestions. I don't know enough really to decide.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have equal rates from both sides.
And you don't really have to have two returns off of a single pump, especially on a smaller tank. One will do fine.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to make sure that the return pvc is secured to something, in that pic of greybeard's he went thru the stand top so it couldn't be messed with.
And you don't really have to have two returns off of a single pump, especially on a smaller tank. One will do fine.
Absolutely correct, I was going to post this earlier!

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Should I install multiple return lines?
This is generally not necessary, and I will show you why.

If you inject a visible additive like an Alkalinity solution down at the intake of the return pump, you can observe just how quickly water mixes in a tank.

With adequate powerhead flow, all that water will mix together into a uniform haze in a few seconds with even low amounts of flow. This happens whether the the return is one outlet or many different ones. This is a good indication of why you need not worry about multiple outlets or placing an outlet as far away from the overflow as possible. Consider the following:

• Splitting the return can unnecessarily add to friction loss of the return system, lessening the output of the pump. In order to compensate for this, you would need multiple outlets – which are unsightly and provide no benefits
  • Unless you have a 300+ gallon system or an 8′ long tank, there is no need to use more than a single return outlet
  • A single return line is inconspicuous and easy to hide out of sight"
source: GMACreef

@Katrina71
See i'm just being obtuse and unnecessary by doing all the dual return quad output crap in my tank...I'm like that ya know! :cool:

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally my thoughts are:
I would set up herbie style; both holes as drains and return over the top like I linked.
1. It's safer
2. Quieter
3. More controllable flow
4. Most importantly I wouldn't want to get it setup with living animals and have one of the above issues and have to change it especially when I could've done it that way from the beginning.
5. What's an extra $20-$40 extra spent to not have those worries at all?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd already considered having a 3D printed collar if we went that route. Even a redneck block of wood with a hole saw.
Just use a PVC pipe standoff and fasten the return to the stand. If you are using hard pipe I wouldn't worry too much about the return coming out of the tank.

You will do fine with the plumbing. We got your back too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a PVC pipe standoff and fasten the return to the stand. If you are using hard pipe I wouldn't worry too much about the return coming out of the tank.

You will do fine with the plumbing. We got your back too.

And +1 on this, a standoff works very well with a couple unions into the mix. You could even mount a union flush with the top of the tank and rotate your return nozzle horizontally in a flash. Just make sure it's off when you do it though lol

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to spy on my tank after the lights went out and saw I have at least a thousand (not exaggerated) of these in my tank. They look like teeny tiny Mexican turbos. I was under the impression Mexican turbos wouldn't breed in captivity. But they're certainly not ceriths, stomatella, bumblebee snails or nassarius and those are the only species I have. Thoughts?
First picture for size reference and the second is GREATLY enlarged.
0818190055_Film1.jpg
0818190044a_Film1-02.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to spy on my tank after the lights went out and saw I have at least a thousand (not exaggerated) of these in my tank. They look like teeny tiny Mexican turbos. I was under the impression Mexican turbos wouldn't breed in captivity. But they're certainly not ceriths, stomatella, bumblebee snails or nassarius and those are the only species I have. Thoughts?
First picture for size reference and the second is GREATLY enlarged.
0818190055_Film1.jpg
0818190044a_Film1-02.jpeg

Have a look at colonista (spelling) snails. ;)

Back