Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer curious about your opinion on Dinos. Have you seen them in your tank in small amounts that go away naturally?
I think it's impossible to keep out of tanks. It's only a problem if we make conditions for them to explode in a tank.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to reefing... its a wonderful hobby and I have been at it for 22 years. I would try and fight the urge to pick up any live animals for a while... instead focus on maintaining:

1. Salinity
2. Temperature
3. PH
4. Proper flow
5. Proper lighting

once everything is set and stable start testing for Ammonia... nitrite... PH. and learn about the natural nitrification cycle.

once you have no detectable ammonia then you can begin testing for Nitrate and Phosphate. when those levels check out and are stable than add your livestock slowly. continue testing to ensure safe environment.

for small nano like yours I would highly reccomend an ATO eventually. maybe even befor introducing livestock. evaporation in a small system can cause all sorts of fluctuation issues with many parameters. You will hear over and over that stability os a reefs freind. how you achieve it is upto you and there are many methods.

oh try and pick up some live sand and live rock and seed your tank if possible with a mature tanks sand. small amount is fine. hope that helped. if you are in the NYC area I would be happy to give you some sand to seed your tank and help you get started. pm me.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll give you 2 guesses who knocked off the barnacle.
IMG_20191120_080156316.jpg

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to ask them here. Everyone that's posted within this thread gets alerted pretty quickly.

My favorite thing to do during the research phase was watch a bunch of youtube videos. There are so many people that walk you through years of fish tanks. TBH best place to start is BRS 52 weeks of reefing. It's fifty-two 20-30 minute videos that will walk you through absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know.

watch you tube but avoid BRS or anyone trying to sell you something in my opinion. there are ple ty of guys out there like fishofhex...the "not so big" guys that just want to pass on some good solid advice.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo do we all reside in the south?
While I live in Arizona -- I'm originally from Minnesota and always will be. Just let me know and I'll show up with a hotdish (casserole) and welcome you to the neighborhood. My coworkers tease me because I say "you betcha" all the time.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch you tube but avoid BRS or anyone trying to sell you something in my opinion. there are ple ty of guys out there like fishofhex...the "not so big" guys that just want to pass on some good solid advice.
The entire reason FishofHex has a YouTube page is to promote his frag business, he’s also been a promoter of businesses he gets paid for. Nobody does YouTube because they think it’s fun, they’re all trying to get paid.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had dino about wiped everything out. @12gallonsofhex is fighting dino right now.
I'm doing and H2O2 treatment in my tank right now trying to get rid of dino. My seizures/injury/recovery threw my tank out of whack during my three months of not caring for it last summer/fall. I understand that this stuff doesn't repair itself overnight, but geeze it is frustrating.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a... bad experience with H2O2 before. I'm not going that route any more.
What happened to yours? I'm doing that right now and now I'm paranoid that I'm going to do more damage than good. ;Blackeye

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be why I don't battle dinos. I let at least one side of my tank stay dirty with film algae. I let gha grow in spots. I never have an algae free tank.

After having Dino’s, I see algae in a whole new light and allow a small patch of cyano or film algae to stay in my tank as well.

You’re a smart woman.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire reason FishofHex has a YouTube page is to promote his frag business, he’s also been a promoter of businesses he gets paid for. Nobody does YouTube because they think it’s fun, they’re all trying to get paid.
thanks for proving my point... i tend to listen to expierience rather than fluff from the big boys.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back