Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I have down, I was inquiring about getting the full 1ml of regent a.

The only thing I can think of is I’m using distilled water that came with my Milwaukee for calibration.

Maybe I should give rodi a shot? They say not to.

I’m an idiot, I’ve spent a whole hour testing this when I should have just done the water change.

My corals are going to be ****** off for another day, I hate seeing this :/

My fourth result when pulling the syringe where the left most black ring lands just above the .1 notch.

35D84281-C90D-4BC0-AB98-B89CF47CE808.jpeg
Wish I could make it easier, but that thing is as accurate as buck shot at 300 yards.

Hanna sells purified water for rinsing curvetes and testing with their checkers. Im not paying thru the nose for RODI when I have a 6 stage filter in the garage and my water bill is $25 a month.

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just going to have to test this against my new batch of saltwater tomorrow until I get it accurate.

My worst fear is that alkalinity and calc are normal.

One thing I am considering is that maybe the lights have increased in intensity from being on acclimation (running acclimation until April just to keep the intensity lowered by 35% on a preset).

Maybe phosphates have bottomed out again as well, getting too late to test :/
I'd say to let it rest for tonight, change your water tomorrow. Remember, I could hold my parameters rock solid and lose SPS. Stuff can get in and get depleted that we cant test.

Reefer to my meme about new school and old school. Do a water change and leave it alone, it'll work itself out. ;)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I have down, I was inquiring about getting the full 1ml of regent a.

The only thing I can think of is I’m using distilled water that came with my Milwaukee for calibration.

Maybe I should give rodi a shot? They say not to.

I’m an idiot, I’ve spent a whole hour testing this when I should have just done the water change.

My corals are going to be ****** off for another day, I hate seeing this :/

My fourth result when pulling the syringe where the left most black ring lands just above the .1 notch.

35D84281-C90D-4BC0-AB98-B89CF47CE808.jpeg
it seems to be somewhat consistent. But I’m not sure how you could have Ca higher than your salt without dosing.

your light schedule thing has been bugging me since you posted about it earlier. It sounds like your light is different every day...I know my corals have HATED any change to light or flow.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to be somewhat consistent. But I’m not sure how you could have Ca higher than your salt without dosing.

your light schedule thing has been bugging me since you posted about it earlier. It sounds like your light is different every day...I know my corals have HATED any change to light or flow.
I haven't seen his schedule. Or what lights he's using.

Im an avid set it and forget it person when it comes to lights. Find something you like and leave it t f alone. Mine have been the same for almost a year. Only change was bulb combo. First year was 4 Ture Actinic. Year 2 is 2 B+, 1 C+ and 1 TA. Next year I'll probably go 3 B+ and 1 TA.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to let it rest for tonight, change your water tomorrow. Remember, I could hold my parameters rock solid and lose SPS. Stuff can get in and get depleted that we cant test.

Reefer to my meme about new school and old school. Do a water change and leave it alone, it'll work itself out. ;)

It’s a bit different when every single frag was perfect and then a few look slightly closed/tense. That makes it pretty clear something is wrong.

Hopefully everything in the frag and display are ok tomorrow, can’t have any deaths.

I’m not a big believer in “letting things work out”, that’s when things go wrong.

It also prevents you from learning more about what affects your corals which is the most important thing.

I had no clue rocks could bind so much phosphate! I’m sure I would have a death or two and Dino throughout my tank had I not obsessed over it.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My light is not different every day. It’s the exact same although I think the acclimation schedule updated it from 35% intensity reduction to 30%.

I can’t remember if I set it to 30 or 35 initially. Other than that, everything has been the same.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit different when every single frag was perfect and then a few look slightly closed/tense. That makes it pretty clear something is wrong.

Hopefully everything in the frag and display are ok tomorrow, can’t have any deaths.

I’m not a big believer in “letting things work out”, that’s when things go wrong.

It also prevents you from learning more about what affects your corals which is the most important thing.

I had no clue rocks could bind so much phosphate! I’m sure I would have a death or two and Dino throughout my tank had I not obsessed over it.
Just offering my 3 years experience at killing corals. Every time I thought I was smarter than the tank and knew how to do this or that by adding chemical x... I killed stuff. When I just do a water change and keep my hands out the tank and stop tinkering with every parameter under the microscope, things just thrive.

Just my $0.02.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light is not different every day. It’s the exact same although I think the acclimation schedule updated it from 35% intensity reduction to 30%.

I can’t remember if I set it to 30 or 35 initially. Other than that, everything has been the same.
Ahh ok I misunderstood, I thought the acclimation schedule was doing a slight increase every day. But if your light did just change intensity, the more sensitive frags could be responding to that. You should see my acan if I move his rock by .01”...it’s like i throat punched it.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just offering my 3 years experience at killing corals. Every time I thought I was smarter than the tank and knew how to do this or that by adding chemical x... I killed stuff. When I just do a water change and keep my hands out the tank and stop tinkering with every parameter under the microscope, things just thrive.

Just my $0.02.

Of course I don’t plan on adding any chemicals. Something is causing stress and I’m just trying to figure out what that is.

Simply trying to deduce it from what I can.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok I misunderstood, I thought the acclimation schedule was doing a slight increase every day. But if your light did just change intensity, the more sensitive frags could be responding to that. You should see my acan if I move his rock by .01”...it’s like i throat punched it.

I set it to a very slow acclimation schedule so that it basically stays the same over the next month or so until I make a decision.

Hoping to just cancel out whether it’s params or not.

There are 3 maybe 4 frags that just seem stressed, they’re not closing up or anything.

I should just run the full test suite tomorrow and then see if water change helps out.

Really hoping I find what’s going on soon as I have a handful of frags to add to the display tomorrow.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I don’t plan on adding any chemicals. Something is causing stress and I’m just trying to figure out what that is.

Simply trying to deduce it from what I can.
If it's off parameters, water change will help bring them in line.

If it's some pollutant, water change will help remove it.

I gave a love hate relationship with water changes. I realize they are important, but man do they suck.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 1ml syringe you want the bottom of the plunger(ignore the stem, look at the bottom seal) to reach 0 at the back of the syringe. It reads backwards, it's a titration syringe. The scale is reversed to read how much you've squashed out.

Anyway, suck up the reagent until the bottom seal is at 0, then put all of that in the curvete and fill to the line with RODI. You know what a meniscus is, right? Always use the bottom of the curve in the water surface.

Meniscus.jpg

I get that lol but which ring do I match up to the 0? There is the black tip of the syringe and then the two rings.

I watched a nursing video on it and I believe it’s the first black ring.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's off parameters, water change will help bring them in line.

If it's some pollutant, water change will help remove it.

I gave a love hate relationship with water changes. I realize they are important, but man do they suck.

I agree, I don’t mind doing them. Whatever it takes to keep everything happy.

It seemed like you were against me doing a water change earlier today.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that lol but which ring do I match up to the 0? There is the black tip of the syringe and then the two rings.

I watched a nursing video on it and I believe it’s the first black ring.
I always do the second one (bottom ring), don't go all the way to the tip.
@crusso1993 is gonna nail me for that one

Back