Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been doing well with that $50 Aqua Knight light... so well, she's just going to get another one. I'm not planning on putting anything in here extremely light demanding. She's got an incredible hulk lepto glowing on the sand bed, the tank is just too big for one light. The Duncan colony was closed for a while, but after a small water change and a few quick puffs from the turkey baster, it's opening back up. Acans are still alive, and still closed up tight. I have a feeling the angels are nipping at them.
I agree with the angels. Wow did we just find a cheap light that grows corals. I did just read that most coral will be fine in 100 par but the color won't be there. Hmm

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moyers has been waking up a half hour earlier everyday, he’s adjusting to CA time pretty well. He was up by 11:30 today! Did I mention how much I love this fish?! lol

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the angels. Wow did we just find a cheap light that grows corals. I did just read that most coral will be fine in 100 par but the color won't be there. Hmm
Super blue because I didn't get the filter... but LPS is totally fine. With two, I might even be able to keep a monti up top in the middle with enough overlap. Not looking to have to do anything other than monthly water changes, so no fast growing SPS sucking up calcium and alkalinity.

Inappropriate Reefer on YouTube has a budget 10g that he put together for I believe under $150(not counting livestock). He uses the same Aqua Knight light.

20190711_151746.jpg
20190711_151753.jpg
20190711_151803.jpg
20190711_151756.jpg
20190711_151814.jpg
20190711_151808.jpg
20190711_151819.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it's auto cloud saved.

Bottom of a skimmer cup?

He didn't make it thru the night.

Sorry to hear you've not improved and the wrasse didn't make it.

Your lady's tank is looking nice!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about a leopard wrasse. Mostly the blue star leopard wrasse. I’m finding most are called leopard wrasse but know there is a few different ones. I need some direction

Anyone have info to help me search about them and like to share their experience?
Do different leopards have different aggression?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about a leopard wrasse. Mostly the blue star leopard wrasse. I’m finding most are called leopard wrasse but know there is a few different ones. I need some direction

Anyone have info to help me search about them and like to share their experience?
Do different leopards have different aggression?
I posted an article about them a few days ago... I'll link it again. The BIGGEST problem with leopards, is they are horrible shippers, and they are benthic feeders. That means they usually break their jaw trying to dive into sand in a shipping bag that has no sand. If and when they get into an aquarium, it needs ample copepods for it to survive on indefinitely. It may or may not eat frozen, most do but be prepared for it not to. Especially at first. My leopard came in already eating frozen from an LFS, the black leopard is the sole survivor of a trio ordered online. One DOA, one dead in 24 hours. Noir, made it thru QT and 3 months in the display before touching the first piece of frozen. I supplemented pods once before getting her, then twice until she switched to frozen.

As far as aggression, they can live together so long as there is only one male of each species. Multiple females of the same(and different) species can live together as long as care is taken to separate the ones that transition to male. Aggression towards other fish is non existent unless provoked in my experience. My melanarus will harass my two leopards occasionally, they are much more agile tho and will usually put a tooth in his side and he backs off.

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted an article about them a few days ago... I'll link it again. The BIGGEST problem with leopards, is they are horrible shippers, and they are benthic feeders. That means they usually break their jaw trying to dive into sand in a shipping bag that has no sand. If and when they get into an aquarium, it needs ample copepods for it to survive on indefinitely. It may or may not eat frozen, most do but be prepared for it not to. Especially at first. My leopard came in already eating frozen from an LFS, the black leopard is the sole survivor of a trio ordered online. One DOA, one dead in 24 hours. Noir, made it thru QT and 3 months in the display before touching the first piece of frozen. I supplemented pods once before getting her, then twice until she switched to frozen.

As far as aggression, they can live together so long as there is only one male of each species. Multiple females of the same(and different) species can live together as long as care is taken to separate the ones that transition to male. Aggression towards other fish is non existent unless provoked in my experience. My melanarus will harass my two leopards occasionally, they are much more agile tho and will usually put a tooth in his side and he backs off.

Thank you for the post. I will read your thread later also.
Pods I’m not concerned except I may want Mandarin and with other pod eater it would become a problem. My LFS would QT and get him eating frozen before releasing to me.

The deal breaker is them breaking there jaw. I have shallow sand bed but the Melanurus knows to dive in like the shallow end of the pool.

That is why I ask all you fine people in our build thread. I meant Katrina thread.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the post. I will read your thread later also.
Pods I’m not concerned except I may want Mandarin and with other pod eater it would become a problem. My LFS would QT and get him eating frozen before releasing to me.

The deal breaker is them breaking there jaw. I have shallow sand bed but the Melanurus knows to dive in like the shallow end of the pool.

That is why I ask all you fine people in our build thread. I meant Katrina thread.

They seem to only be fragile when shipping, but once acclimated to your aquarium they are pretty tanky. I read somewhere that someone was shipping them with 2" of sand in the bag and had a very high success rate with them that way. Once they break their jaw, there isn't much you can do and they usually end up starving. That's what happens to most of them. They are also susceptible to intestinal worms, so I would treat in QT with General Cure. Copepods should live thru it, so you can dose them to keep it fed while in QT. When it starts eating frozen, dose one Tbsp of thawed frozen with one scoop metro and focus then feed that for I think ten days to make sure any parasites are gone. After that you should have one beautiful bullet proof fish.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, not really any closer to getting the 40 or the 50 setup.
BUT the good news I got sick of the GHA and looked into the settings I had going in ecosmart live and turns out my red and green were way up to 25% each so I kicked them down to 7% each and the algae is almost gone and water looks cleaner, corals pop and look better maybe they weren't diggin the red spectrum.
I see a small white spot thinkin it's a fluke? on Marlin the largest clownfish. So I ordered some metro/focus and prazi to make sure it doesn't get any worse I'll do a fw dip too. Everything looks healthy, I'm happy.
Zoas still growing, I see a few new tiny tiny lil pinhead sized polyps, exciting times.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to only be fragile when shipping, but once acclimated to your aquarium they are pretty tanky. I read somewhere that someone was shipping them with 2" of sand in the bag and had a very high success rate with them that way. Once they break their jaw, there isn't much you can do and they usually end up starving. That's what happens to most of them. They are also susceptible to intestinal worms, so I would treat in QT with General Cure. Copepods should live thru it, so you can dose them to keep it fed while in QT. When it starts eating frozen, dose one Tbsp of thawed frozen with one scoop metro and focus then feed that for I think ten days to make sure any parasites are gone. After that you should have one beautiful bullet proof fish.

So they are back on the list for contemplating. There is so much to know about each fish it gets little over whelming. Great fuel for the internet so I can learn

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back