Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TV magic. I basically do what an editor does, but I do it live, in real time, based on what a director calls. Cutting cameras and feeds, overlaying graphics, whooshy wipes, heads in boxes, heart wipes, etc. I am responsible for all visual aspects of a show.
That's right... TV.

Here's the power plant equivalent...

20191121_022418.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a wider shot of the control room
92B8BB0D-1321-451F-A94F-0AF2310B0510.jpeg
Wow, that's a lot more colorful than ours. Of course, ours was built in the late 60s and has been retrofitted more than a few times... still have original mechanical switches to start some of the equipment and move valves, some of it is on the computer controls...

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I haven't updated my Miniature Menagerie in a month... well... I guess that's because nothing has happened, except I think I have turf algae. Anyone know how to beat turf algae? Fluconazole? Does that kill ricordea and rock flowers?
I never use chemicals (not judging) but Cerith and Trochus snails always took care of hair algae well for me.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot more colorful than ours. Of course, ours was built in the late 60s and has been retrofitted more than a few times... still have original mechanical switches to start some of the equipment and move valves, some of it is on the computer controls...
This control room is about two months old. State of the art and technologically modern. All that fancy description does not account for the issues and headaches I deal with almost every night with “new facility” issues. New is not always magically better.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use chemicals (not judging) but Cerith and Trochus always took care of hair algae well for me.
I had some nasty bryposis when starting up this tank(spores in rock, wet in dark bin for months) and Fluconazole knocked it out in a week or so. I'm thinking a frag I brought back from Knoxville might have had some turf algae on it that got past dip and cleaning... I'll get some pics tomorrow and update my thread.

I do need some CUC for all of my tanks. I know I have one astrea(that is almost 3 years old in my care, and I think the last of the mohicans), one money cowrie and at least one cerith snail in the Menagerie. I probably need at least a handful more snails.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This control room is about two months old. State of the art and technologically modern. All that fancy description does not account for the issues and headaches I deal with almost every night with “new facility” issues. New is not always magically better.
I completely understand. A lot of times they install new operating software or equipment here and the engineers are like politicians with promises of grandeur, and then as operators we just look at each other and laugh, knowing that nothing is going to work like they say it should.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 1 Trochus and 3 Cerith per 10 gallons. I also have 10 red hermits and 3 blues that do a surprisingly good job cleaning everything. CUC includes worms, pods and mini stars too that clean up the filth that leads to excessive algae.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use chemicals (not judging) but Cerith and Trochus snails always took care of hair algae well for me.
I think I'll try the au naturale method first. Big water change to get rid of nutrients, then some manual removal and CUC additions. I really need to get that auto water change set up...

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 1 Trochus and 3 Cerith per 10 gallons. I also have 10 red hermits and 3 blues that do a surprisingly good job cleaning everything. CUC includes worms, pods and mini stars too that clean up the filth that leads to excessive algae.
Trochus are like astrea, right? Similar shape and size?

It's only a 20 gallon tank so I may just add two more money cowries. Those guys are machines. I seriously dislike worms, but I do have asterina stars in there, the population stays relatively low... Id love some micro brittle, but I can never seem to find any short of paying a ridiculous amount online.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus are like astrea, right? Similar shape and size?

It's only a 20 gallon tank so I may just add two more money cowries. Those guys are machines. I seriously dislike worms, but I do have asterina stars in there, the population stays relatively low... Id love some micro brittle, but I can never seem to find any short of paying a ridiculous amount online.
Trochus look like turbans. I like them and Ceriths because together they cover almost everything and both can usually flip themselves over.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus look like turbans. I like them and Ceriths because together they cover almost everything and both can usually flip themselves over.
Wow those trochus are expensive. $3.50 each on Reef Cleaners and astreas are $.75ea.

(the two are very similar, astrea have a hard time flipping themselves over but are one of the best for hair algae)

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TV magic. I basically do what an editor does, but I do it live, in real time, based on what a director calls. Cutting cameras and feeds, overlaying graphics, whooshy wipes, heads in boxes, heart wipes, etc. I am responsible for all visual aspects of a show.
I feel like saying this. I've only done butt wipes on babies. I guess now I'll add butt editor to my resume.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like saying this. I've only done butt wipes on babies. I guess now I'll add butt editor to my resume.
The baby is certainly the Executive Producer.

“Nice job, sir!”

Back