Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bad thing. I impulse bought a neon dottyback for my 30 gallon with my ocellaris pair. LiveAquaria has them listed as semi aggressive and my clowns, although very passive, are really big. My female is about 4 inches, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. But now I'm finding articles saying they're more than semi aggressive. Some say outright murderous. How bad have I messed up?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bad thing. I impulse bought a neon dottyback for my 30 gallon with my ocellaris pair. LiveAquaria has them listed as semi aggressive and my clowns, although very passive, are really big. My female is about 4 inches, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. But now I'm finding articles saying they're more than semi aggressive. Some say outright murderous. How bad have I messed up?

I have never had a dottyback in all my years reefing due to their aggression issues.
... I have done loads of reading, neons seem to be more reef friendly.
..... my lfs has one I have been watching! ;)

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a dottyback in all my years reefing due to their aggression issues.
... I have done loads of reading, neons seem to be more reef friendly.
..... my lfs has one I have been watching! ;)
Thanks. I'll keep a close eye on the tank for the next few weeks and take it back if I have to. Right now it's freaked out and hiding. I'll let you know how it goes.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bring bad news, but my neon dottyback was a terror and began killing stuff within 3 days. If you can, catch it now. Try a trap if you need to. Mine killed a firefish and almost killed my urchin before I got it out. I would argue that anyone who says they’re reef safe or friendly has never had one. Again, sorry for the bad news:(

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bring bad news, but my neon dottyback was a terror and began killing stuff within 3 days. If you can, catch it now. Try a trap if you need to. Mine killed a firefish and almost killed my urchin before I got it out. I would argue that anyone who says they’re reef safe or friendly has never had one. Again, sorry for the bad news:(
I'll take him back tomorrow. I'm really surprised but my female ocellaris isn't happy. She won't let him come out of the rockwork. I've had this pair over 3 years, with multiple fish, and never had any aggressive behavior but now she's being a turd.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm good with water changes. That is the only thing I'm confident I can handle so far! Does everybody feel this dumb starting out?
I’m brand new too! I don’t even have a tank yet and I’ve felt dumb! Don’t feel bad!

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a neon dottyback in my 16. It's a super cool and active fish. But I don't have any other fish with it. It eats constantly and I might have trouble keeping the pod population up.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where this blood red coralline came from but I'm kinda digging it. Lol
20201125_013516_HDR.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back