Brand new Nero 3 - flashing red light

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a brand new, never before used Nero 3 and it doesn't work out of the box. It will spin for 1-2 seconds, stop, and I get the flashing red light. Quite odd for a new pump to not work out of the box. I've tried resetting the controller and have even cleaned the (brand new) pump.

Am I already having to send this into AI for service? Or is there anything else I can try?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a brand new, never before used Nero 3 and it doesn't work out of the box. It will spin for 1-2 seconds, stop, and I get the flashing red light. Quite odd for a new pump to not work out of the box. I've tried resetting the controller and have even cleaned the (brand new) pump.

Am I already having to send this into AI for service? Or is there anything else I can try?
If you cleaned it and constantly having problem I would send it back within a year while you still had warranty.

On my case, it was over a year and I was told to pay around $145 for the “repair”

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know mine will be covered under warranty. It's 2 months old. I am hoping to not have to send it in though, due to the down time, which is why I'm asking if there's anything else I can try to get this working

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the impeller shaft and confirm that it's perfectly aligned with the blade's magnet. Try spinning by hand until you make sure that there's no resistance when they're moving. If the motor feels resistance it will shut down to protect it. I got rid of them all due to this issue.

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the impeller shaft and confirm that it's perfectly aligned with the blade's magnet. Try spinning by hand until you make sure that there's no resistance when they're moving. If the motor feels resistance it will shut down to protect it. I got rid of them all due to this issue.
This was the "fix", thank you! I rotated the magnet and it started spinning. This is so odd. I have 2 Neros running on my other tank and didn't come across this issue. I guess I got lucky in how I placed the magnets.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all the above and spun the propeller which it was very smooth but yet it didn’t work and got stuck on a solid red light. Sent it back not that I didn’t get repaired but lost my almost $20 shipping smh

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the "fix", thank you! I rotated the magnet and it started spinning. This is so odd. I have 2 Neros running on my other tank and didn't come across this issue. I guess I got lucky in how I placed the magnets.
I hope yours won’t happen as often as the ones I got. On average, mine stops working once a month, it’s a pain I got a few

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope yours won’t happen as often as the ones I got. On average, mine stops working once a month, it’s a pain I got a few
I did all the above and spun the propeller which it was very smooth but yet it didn’t work and got stuck on a solid red light. Sent it back not that I didn’t get repaired but lost my almost $20 shipping smh

I hope not either. The Neros on my other tank have been on for years and have never had this issue.

Regarding the propeller, mine also spun smoothly. What I did was rotate the actual magnets (both wet and dry side). I guess these magnets were not properly aligned with the impellar's magnet prior.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hope not either. The Neros on my other tank have been on for years and have never had this issue.

Regarding the propeller, mine also spun smoothly. What I did was rotate the actual magnets (both wet and dry side). I guess these magnets were not properly aligned with the impellar's magnet prior.

So I am getting “Nero 5 stuck in open loop”. Your saying the external magnets could be at play here? Mine are clearly out of warranty, how do you open these to clean them?

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting “Nero 5 stuck in open loop”. Your saying the external magnets could be at play here? Mine are clearly out of warranty, how do you open these to clean them?
No I did not have to open the external magnet. I literally rotated it 180 degrees. Per the manual, the magnet should be installed so that the logo is facing a certain direction. I did that initially but ran into issues. Not sure what caused me to rotate it but I gave it a try and that fixed it for me. So now the logo is upside down

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back