Breaking down tank

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I am breaking down my old tank because I just do not want to run 2 (reef) tanks. Transferring all livestock beside what I can’t get off the rocks. I have copious flatworms and bubble algae. I do not think the tank is salvageable and quite frankly, I think it is time to kill this first generation biocube. It has lasted since 2013 with multiple owners and modifications. It is scratched to all get out, the stand is rotted, and it has served its purpose entirely.

Now my question is what should I do with the rock? If it has some zoas on it, I do not want to just dry it out. I am very fearful of the palytoxins. I suppose I could nuke the tank of flatworms with Exit and H2O2 for the bubble algae then sell/give away the rock as cured and mature LR with some corals attached. Because otherwise there are no pests.

I’ve never broken a tank down……. only set them up (oops, I have a problem)

Will it be stinky?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be stinky. Prepare yourself.

I’ve honestly never put a zoo or paly in my system. The is a risk that I’m not willing to take, and quite frankly I’m not sure why people still continue to gamble with them. Especially play’s. I’d sell the rocks or trash them.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be stinky. Prepare yourself.

I’ve honestly never put a zoo or paly in my system. The is a risk that I’m not willing to take, and quite frankly I’m not sure why people still continue to gamble with them. Especially play’s. I’d sell the rocks or trash them.

I love zoas and have read that they’re not as toxic on the true small zoanthids but the larger, uglier ones like grandis and them green/brown suckers are some of the more deadly ones.

Personally, I think they add a lot of color and visual interest to a tank while readily multiplying and becoming a good source of income for the hobbyist. I keep all of mine on tiles on the sandbed. Perhaps I could just put the rocks in zip lock bags and into the garbage.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back