TANK CRASH? Break down? …

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A little about my tank it started up in July from moving . Previous house it was up for 3 years.

I’m considering breaking down but I’m not panicking.

Tank has been thriving , parameters are good, however past 2 months slowly I lost all frags, and corals. Most are hanging on with STN succeeding and killing everything off. The only thing left is Zoas and Anemones.

Can someone shed advice and input based on experience.

I just ordered ICP tests , until they arrive I have two theories in mind ; 1) Heavy metals 2) Bacterial infection.

I moved in same city from previous location so I’m not convinced it’s heavy metals. The fact that LPS and Monti is STN has made me think it could be. My TDS is religiously 0 so I differ to believe it’s the cause.

The bacterial issue is coming from a coral pack 2-3 months ago that came in 100 quantity and I did zero dipping. The issue here is I have no info or access to combat a bacteria issue besides BREAKING DOWN and starting over.

Until ICP test come in the mail and get results , please share your thoughts.

Pictures are before and after , with the obvious

What do you think the cause might be?

Thanks guys during this heavy day in reefing!

IMG_4476.jpeg IMG_4737.jpeg IMG_4736.jpeg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial STN could be the issue. Do you see red bugs or nudibranchs? Inspect closely. Mike Paletta has some good information on STN and bacterial infections and fighting them. I can't point you to the articles but they should be easy to find.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Bacterial STN could be the issue. Do you see red bugs or nudibranchs? Inspect closely. Mike Paletta has some good information on STN and bacterial infections and fighting them. I can't point you to the articles but they should be easy to find.
What is a fix for bacterial issues? Throwing liverock away?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a fix for bacterial issues? Throwing liverock away?
There are various treatments with different efficacies, antibiotics is one. But you would not likely do that without a test and lot of research, and it is controversial. Read Mike's stuff and go from there. I don't know what is causing your STN, but it will take some work to figure it out. It may be an easy fix or not. Sorry I can't be more help, but there is so little to go on.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
There are various treatments with different efficacies, antibiotics is one. But you would not likely do that without a test and lot of research, and it is controversial. Read Mike's stuff and go from there. I don't know what is causing your STN, but it will take some work to figure it out. It may be an easy fix or not. Sorry I can't be more help, but there is so little to go on.
I see only antibiotics is a cure on his article

What else do you know about?

Thanks for replying!

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I realize all my hose clamps to return pumps , and nuts under skimmer are stainless steel. Would that leech metals ?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve come realization that I will have to break down a 230g tank with lots of live rock and start fresh to eradicate this. Nobody knows anything about STN

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back