Breaking in new skimmer

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is hopefully a few days from ending it’s cycle so I decided to start breaking in the skimmer. It’s a Reef Octopus 150SSS...my first Reef Octopus.
I have it on a riser so it’s sitting in just over 8” of water. I have it turned all the way down and took the collection cup off. I’m just letting it overflow for however long it’s going to take to calm down.
anyone else with a Reef Octopus have any advice?

4CBE4D53-9F61-4CBF-B29F-32D3813C847D.jpeg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have had no need to adjust mine, but have heard of some putting an air valve to restrict that air intake. It'll have to be a little DIY, but also temporary until broken in.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and mine went a bit crazy with bubbles as well when it was new, there is a 2 week break-in period with this skimmer. However, when turned all the way down it should not be overflowing that much in my opinion. Make sure the white air line is not pinched or pressed up against the sump. Also make sure that it is attached correctly to the intake. Another reason there could be so many bubbles is because of a chemical reaction. Sometimes different medications or reef epoxy and superglue may cause your skimmer to go crazy as well. Water level with this skimmer should be between 7 and 9 inches, mine works great right at 8 inches. I'm not saying you didn't set it up correctly but maybe watch this video just to make sure everything is spot on. I watched it a few times when I first got mine and it helped me with the setup. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Block some of the flow to see how to skimmer reacts as a test.
Great advice. I got a valve and some tube at Home Depot. Choke the airflow way down and open it slowly as the bubbles subside. Keep with it. You’ll get it dialed in.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Block some of the flow to see how to skimmer reacts as a test.
When I put my finger on the intake, all the bubble stop like they should and the water level is where it should be. Seems like it’s just getting too much air.
I placed a piece of paper towel over the intake and it actually seems to be working. Lol.
Guess I need to get a valve to screw into the air intake.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I started the cycle (dosed with Dr Tim’s) I ran it to pull some organics out of the sand, and it was working fine.
It’s also now putting out a ton of microbubbles, which I hope will subside as it breaks in. Not a newbie with skimmers, but I’ve never had this issue before. Not any experience with this skimmer.

Attachments

• 165C1D6C-D786-4556-B18B-41CDF0499FE4.jpeg
    165C1D6C-D786-4556-B18B-41CDF0499FE4.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 58

lambe00j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the break in go? I have a 150s and it’s just bubbling like crazy. Got it today.
I have it set around 3 on the dial and it’s not calming down much. I did buy it new but pre-built, not sure if this is just break in or not. Also, it’s loud. I can hear it while in the next room.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the break in go? I have a 150s and it’s just bubbling like crazy. Got it today.
I have it set around 3 on the dial and it’s not calming down much. I did buy it new but pre-built, not sure if this is just break in or not. Also, it’s loud. I can hear it while in the next room.
This skimmer runs like a champ! So, I have to admit that my issue is rather embarrassing. The air intake tube was up against the top of the silencer, cutting off the air. So, simple fix.
During the summer I run it with a CO2 scrubber, so I actually have to take off the silencer in order to attach it to the scrubber.

lambe00j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This skimmer runs like a champ! So, I have to admit that my issue is rather embarrassing. The air intake tube was up against the top of the silencer, cutting off the air. So, simple fix.
During the summer I run it with a CO2 scrubber, so I actually have to take off the silencer in order to attach it to the scrubber.
Funny. I realized mine was super loud due to this as well. I moved the hose down and it went quiet.

however, still bubbling over at around 3.5/4 which should be low to nothing. I choke the air off and see the water rise is right at the line I am told it should be, so not sure why it’s bubbling over so much so fast. (Fills the top tank in about 15-20 mins). I’m going to just run it like this over night. I am presuming, break-in concerns?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back