Breaking in X-Flo Skimmer: No Foam Production?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, thanks for your time and any insight you can provide here.

Yesterday I upgraded my skimmer from the Maxspect Jump SK2 to an RK2 X-Flo 3.5-6 Venturi driven by a Jebao 8000 DCP — rated up to 2000 gph, which matches their ”best” pump specs in a Vectra M1, also a DC pump. While it’s certainly oversized for my system (CADE 1500 Peninsula), my ultimate plan is to run it 50-75% of the time.

I know it’s been less than a day, however, the skimmer has not produced little to no head (maybe .25”) with these conditions:
  • The Jebao is set to it’s lowest setting at 30%
  • Co/Counter-current gate valve has been set to 25% closed
  • Skimmer exhaust/outlet gate is fully open
IMG_1826.jpeg

As you can see, the pump fills the entire water column, no matter what adjustments I make, foam head remains minimal:
  • Bubbles are larger than I’d expect for a venturi, especially at the top of the column.
  • Throttling the co/counter-current valve to fully closed reduces the water height to the bottom of the cone (I believe this is co-current mode)
Now, I’ve never used a venturi skimmer on any system (most analogous might be an old-school Aqua-C Remora HOB, way way back). But, is this normal for break in on a venturi skimmer?

The pinwheel models I’ve previously run (Bubble Magus Curve 8, Maxspect Jump SK-2) had very healthy foam production right out of the box, and I decided to switch because how finicky and schizophrenic pinwheels can be.

IMG_1826.jpeg

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, you live and you learn. After a couple days and a some adjustments, this skimmer is pulling like a beast!

IMG_1830.jpeg

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you live and you learn. After a couple days and a some adjustments, this skimmer is pulling like a beast!

IMG_1830.jpeg
Looks awesome! I am setting up my first saltwater aquarium and have been kind of eye balling these skimmers as one of my options. How do you like it now that you have used it for a bit? Is it working well? Do you like it more than the previous ones you have used? Is it as quiet or more quiet than the others? Thanks for any info you can give.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for a year or 2. They are easy to adjust can be run co current or counter current. mine holds a stable foam head only thing better would be a taller Venturi or Beckett.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back