Breeding clownfish

Richie49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a breeding pair of clowns, they made mocha babies. But now the female died and the male is alone. If I add 2 pairs (4 fish) in the same tank, will any of the pairs breed? Or do they need an entire tank to themselves without any other clowns? Please help thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish like to pick their own mates.
I've tried making arranged marriages for clowns, and often those relationships turn into a total knockdown drag out fights to the death, kinda like human relationships turns out.

It can work out, but you should be prepared to remove or separate any prospective mates you try to add. A lot of people avoid trying to find a new mate, trade in the widow/ widower and get a new mated pair from the LFS. Good luck.

Reading your post again, If you add a new clown, get a larger female for the little male, as since she is new to the tank and he is small, the chances of a successful pairing are better than if you had lost your male and you are now trying to introduce a smaller fish into an established territory.

adan rossell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns that have hung out with each other a few months now. I have never raised clown fish babies before and it is a 55 gallon tank do they need any special requirements?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back