Breeding Copepods in a 5 Gallon Tank

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old 5.5 gallon tank with a heater, HOB filter and lights. I am interested in breeding Copepods to supplement the ones in my BioCube. I have a couple of questions.
1) Is this feasible for breeding Copepods?

2) Is there different equipment I need?

3) Do I set it up with live rock and sand like a normal tank?

Any help on this would be great!!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am breeding copepods in a refugium. you need saltwater, food, and copepods. the equipment you have is sufficient to grow them. have you figured out how you will harvest them? mine just get flushed into the DT where they live too. rock and sand are helpful to live in, macro-algae is good shelter too. detritus is their normal food source. this is just off the top of my head. look for videos and articles, they are out there.
Welcome to R2R

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t thought about harvesting yet, just playing with the idea. I was thinking about putting some Chaeto in a small soap dish on the side of the tank. For food, I was thinking Phyto Feast, but I’m still researching that.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can culture copepods in anything. You won't need sand or rock, but it would help with biological filtration.

No need to put the chaeto in a soap dish, just put it in the tank and let it grow. Once you have pods crawling all over the glass, it's harvest time!

For food, Phyto Feast will work, and I've heard you can also just sprinkle some flake food in there and the pods will eat bacteria that feed on the flakes.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for the heater, filter, lights, rocks or sand.

We’re harvesting 1.5 gallons & adding to our refugium or display every 21-28 days. The tank is the rinsed in vinegar & mixed with 1.5 gallons of fresh saltwater. The other 1.5 gallons is re-added to the culturing tank & the process starts over.
2D5BEB52-4A5A-4F08-8A9B-0D4DBC29529D.jpeg

We feed the Pods 100ml of live phyto every 2-3 days that is also cultured at home. We’re also feeding this to our main system as well.
C1EDE8BA-D339-4C95-A9C4-1A83A89C7FEA.jpeg

Both cultures are fed by a small air pump (3 watts).
45C02B15-48F2-4F27-9989-430263ECCEFC.jpeg

It’s very important to start with a quality seed culture for the phyto. We’re using Mercer of Montana. Copepods are easily picked up from the community or can also be purchased online. If you are wanting to continue culturing, it’s important to use glass & clean it with vinegar or acid then an RO rinse between batches.

In the end, it’s pretty easy & very cheap. The system will also love you for it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back