Breeding fish: Where would you start?

If you did attempt to breed fish in your aquariums, where would you start?

• Ocellaris clownfish

Votes: 119 55.3%
  • Maroon clownfish

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Bangaii cardinalfish

Votes: 41 19.1%
  • Orchid dottybacks

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Neon goby

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Fang blenny

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Yellow assessor basslet

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Seahorses

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other clownfish (please explain in the discussion)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Other non-clownfish (please explain in the discussion)

Votes: 10 4.7%

• Total voters

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say for sure is that im super excited to see where we are in terms of progress with Cb fish and cant wait to see 5 to 10 years from now with what will be available then Cb. I whole heartedly support the Cb fish businesses and have all my fish but one in my aquarium CB and thats a blonde naso because i cant imagine a tank without them. Im also so happy that my LFS only stocks CB aquacultured fish and thats where i get my fish from.

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably any kind of cardinal fish, I believe they're all mouth brooders. While I find that super endearing, I also think that it would probably improve success rates.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cecily strong mermaid GIF by Saturday Night Live

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never bred anything before but I have two clownfishes and two neon gobies. If ones a boy and ones a girl I'd give breeding them a chance if they pair up. I also have a ruby red dragonet and I think it's such a pretty fish. I wouldn't mind buying all the ones I see at the LFS and starting a dedicated tank. My plan is to just put live rock and copepods with a light to promote algae growth. Then add all the ruby red dragonets they get in stock. I just want to make sure theres an abundance of copepods. The one I bought started eating copepods within 10 minutes of being in my tank but I have no idea if it eats any of the actual food I add to my tank.

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many of us that realize how quickly the clock is ticking from significant environmental and regulatory pressures also recognize the benefits of moving towards a Cb strategy. Building on what we already know from creating and maintaining our DT’s places us in a position to have a profound impact.
I think it makes good sense to start ez and move to more complex breeds-just don’t move blindly. Move forward with purpose. Develop a plan, do some research and find some folks who are already having some success.
This is such an amazing hobby. Personally, I chose B. Cardinals but want to move towards centropyge loicula-perhaps a retirement project?

Winslow___

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am finishing my degree in aquaculture with a heavy focus in ornamentals a personal goal of mine is chalk bass due to being simultaneous hermaphrodites and groups doing 'egg sharing. i think keeping a breeding colony would be an amazing time. Overall aspirations are to nail down possum wrasse or cryptic 6lines, being able to full life cycle these species would allow for so many more to be done. The next few years of captive breeding is going to be really exciting .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back