Breeding problems

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So up to today, I've only successfully got two species of fish to spawn. One is the twin spot goby and the other is a banggai cardinal. The funny thing is that both of their mates died prior to both fish laying eggs and the females died shortly after/during the egg laying process. I suspect it could be egg bind for the females (males I'm unsure), but can anyone confirm if this is true (if fish do experience egg bind).

I'm sort of at a lost and don't want to pursue this anymore if it's gonna end in death for my broodstock. Thoughts anyone?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So up to today, I've only successfully got two species of fish to spawn. One is the twin spot goby and the other is a banggai cardinal. The funny thing is that both of their mates died prior to both fish laying eggs and the females died shortly after/during the egg laying process. I suspect it could be egg bind for the females (males I'm unsure), but can anyone confirm if this is true (if fish do experience egg bind).

I'm sort of at a lost and don't want to pursue this anymore if it's gonna end in death for my broodstock. Thoughts anyone?

Forgive my confusion but the males were unable to fertilize the eggs because they died and shortly afterward the females died?

Bump for breeders, but I would suspect a disease process if the males died unexpectedly.

OP
OP
YellowFinsReef

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my confusion but the males were unable to fertilize the eggs because they died and shortly afterward the females died?

Bump for breeders, but I would suspect a disease process if the males died unexpectedly.

Actually, that's what I'm trying to figure out myself. The males died shortly before the female spawn. The females then spawned and died during the spawn. Does that make sense?

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect this is disease related. Have pics of the goby eggs?

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got banggai's that breed every month almost on the dot. I have never had any problems, now the male carrying them to term is the problem, out of 14 spawns the male has only carried 1 to term. I just stripped my first batch yesterday off him and put them in a egg rocker. Never had any problems with these 2 though.

Now the 2 spots I have had 1 for a year and the other one I just bought and luckily they matched so I don't know what there spawning schedule is. However I do know they need an extremely well established tank. The male rarely eats while he protects the egg.

But for the death of your fish.... I am at a loss.

saman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY CLOWNFISH EAT EGG AT DAY3 AND 4 AND 5 :( I CAN EGGS Early separation of eggs from parents?
I CAN EGG separation at day 3 or 4 ?

Back