Brine shrimp hatchery

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Does anyone here doing a Brine shrimp hatchery? I have watched few videos and wondering if I can use 1.024 salinity rather using rock salt or pickling salt?
Also, any recomendations on what type brine shrimp eggs should I get?

Thanks!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though you'll likely be straining the brine shrimp out of the hatchery before using them, you're still likely to get some left-over water and other such chemicals. For that reason, I always just used my normal reef salt with my hatchery. But certainly pickling salt (which is pure sodium chloride with no anti-caking agents) could be safely used.

I used these with good success. Note that the instructions on this product page call for "aquarium (rock) salt". The same company also offers (or used to offer?) a pre-mixed package of salt and eggs - you just dumped the whole thing into aerated water and off you went. The salt in those packets looked very much like regular rock salt to me...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am doing a 4 baby brine shrimp hatchery. The first video is what I did for a basic setup for a week with 2 DIY hatcheries. Then I improved it. The reason for improving it was temperature control. You do not need a light at all. When you have temperature control they can be dumped right in your tank or feeding station without going into temp shock. Also if you do not have a temperature control the hatch can take a lot longer. It could be anywhere from 24-48hrs with a low hatch rate vs 18-24hrs with a 99% hatch rate.
The 2nd video in at 4:40 is the improved version. If you have any questions. Feel free to ask. I use Reef Crystals 1.025 salinity.

3rd video is the hatch and how clean it is and you will see the improved feeding station and.the mandarin eating from it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool set up there and helpful video @40B Knasty !
Couple ?’s :
  1. What brand of Brine eggs are u using?
  2. Once the brine shrimps are hatched, how long will they survive in that container?
Thanks again!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)Premium Grade Brine Shrimp Eggs 1.75oz bottle.
2)They last about 3 days
I do not use the amount they tell you to use with that big scooper that comes with the bottle. I use 2 scoops of a .4mm. You will figure it out. Trust me. That is plenty of BBS for 3 days for one hatchery.
I pull about 500 BBS with just one turkey baster full. So about 1500 for 3 days with just 1 BBS hatchery. I add new eggs to a rinsed out hatchery with about 7oz of saltwater at 1.025 every other day. Then rinse them all out when the 4th hatchery has a day or 2 left. So every 7 days. You will end up with 3 cleaned hatcheries ready to go water bubbling and aerated for a day. Works out perfect for me.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On thing I want to add about cutting the airlines.
When you buy air line of 24'. The part that slides through the 5/16 drill hole and down to the bottom. Make sure the tip of the airlines is straight. Basically right before the bend. Do not cut on the bend where it loops around with the way it is packaged. If you cut the line on the bend. The tip of the airline won't go straight to the bottom and eggs will settle on the bottom. Example is in the 1st video. I had to cut a new line just because of that issue. Just a good tip right there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On thing I want to add about cutting the airlines.
When you buy air line of 24'. The part that slides through the 5/16 drill hole and down to the bottom. Make sure the tip of the airlines is straight. Basically right before the bend. Do not cut on the bend where it loops around with the way it is packaged. If you cut the line on the bend. The tip of the airline won't go straight to the bottom and eggs will settle on the bottom. Example is in the 1st video. I had to cut a new line just because of that issue. Just a good tip right there.

I will review your video again. Thanks!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunatety, it is not at Amazon.
Where did you buy it?
In the freezer at my LFS Tropic Isle in Framingham Massachusetts. I am looking for those exact ones for you online and I am striking out. I would say look for a company that guarantees quality baby brine shrimp with a 90% hatch rate. Then you should be good to go. Call around your good LFS to see if they have them in there freezers where they store their frozen foods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back