Bristle Worms disappeared

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Here is something that has me baffled. In 2022 we sold our house and I had to move my 400lt tank 3 hours by car to a new house. My tank has had issues with algae and an infestation of bristle worms, I mean 1000's, maybe even 10,000. At night you could shine a torch and the whole tank would move with the bristle worms ducking for cover, amazing but also embarrassing, new reefer, over feeding etc etc.

Come 2022 around September I mover the tank and livestock. All of the rock was moved in water (or at least wet, partially submerged) and the sand and live stock moved. The whole tank was reassemble from a 6am start to a 11pm finish (mostly) and since that day I have not seen a single bristle worm, not one, nothing. I look at my tank and sump during the night regularly. nothing. I went from an infestation to 0. I actually think the odd bristle worm is a good thing to clean up uneaten food but I have a complete extinction event.
I do have a Boxer Shrimp but he was a long term resident so he didn't magically fix the problem in 17 hrs, I know you can get the munchies after a long drive but not that much.

Anyone else have a similar experience or offer any insight ??

Cheers
Al

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature drop during transit and re set up could have whipped them out. Don’t worry they’ll be back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back