Bristle worms, love them or hate them?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
530
Reaction score
481
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the majority of the people on here would agree on a shared hatred for the bristle worm, but I also know a decent amount of people who genuinely like them for being one of the best cleaners in a tank. It will go after any little bit of uneaten food or detritus they can find, and are literally one of the hardiest invertebrates you can keep in a tank. To the point where it's a nuisance to try and get rid of them.

I like having them in a tank as cleaners as long as there's not too many and they don't get too big. I hate them when I have to move rock around though, as precaution I always wear gloves anytime I touch anything in anybody's saltwater tank. Also do you call them brissel worms, or bristle worms?
 
I love bristle worms!!! I have possibly hundreds of them in my 20g tank. They are all about an inch or 2.

Now, i have handled bristle worms and even long spined urchins bare hand and never gotten stung/pierced so i never wear gloves. I guess my skin is just thick 🤷‍♂️ ?
 
I think they are a great part of the cuc. I bought bristle worms and spaghetti worms to add to my tank after setting it up almost 5 years ago. I never see the bristle worms though.
 
I know the majority of the people on here would agree on a shared hatred for the bristle worm, but I also know a decent amount of people who genuinely like them for being one of the best cleaners in a tank. It will go after any little bit of uneaten food or detritus they can find, and are literally one of the hardiest invertebrates you can keep in a tank. To the point where it's a nuisance to try and get rid of them.

I like having them in a tank as cleaners as long as there's not too many and they don't get too big. I hate them when I have to move rock around though, as precaution I always wear gloves anytime I touch anything in anybody's saltwater tank. Also do you call them brissel worms, or bristle worms?
I have replied Positive for my worms in the past. I had dozens, I have just Noticed They are all gone 🧐. I have done nothing different . So what Gives ?
 
I love bristle worms!!! I have possibly hundreds of them in my 20g tank. They are all about an inch or 2.

Now, i have handled bristle worms and even long spined urchins bare hand and never gotten stung/pierced so i never wear gloves. I guess my skin is just thick 🤷‍♂️ ?
same, as far as bristleworms Ive found most of the time you need to physically put pressure on them to actually get stung
 
same, as far as bristleworms Ive found most of the time you need to physically put pressure on them to actually get stung
Or have tough skin so you don't feel it lol
20230803_185753~2.jpg
 
that's a nice sized bristleworm! mine are all around an inch and a half long
tough skin definetly does help 😂
That once came out of my 6 yo never cleaned sump. I scraped all the crud and worms out and dumped it all in the new sump to give it a jump start. Most of mine that I see in the tanks are smaller and lighter in color.
 
I have replied Positive for my worms in the past. I had dozens, I have just Noticed They are all gone 🧐. I have done nothing different . So what Gives ?
Do you have any inverts/fish that hunt them like arrow crabs, coral banded shrimp, or 6 line or coris wrasse?
 
Used to have them in the old tank. Would like a few now. When they started to take over I picked some out with tweezers. The tank went milky white once when they all spawned at the same time. Odd to watch but the filters soon cleared the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new