Bristleworms Hermits and a Maxima Clam

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello..

Bought a small first grade maxima. Reacts to light, movement and the like, mantle fully extended, Looks good.

Bring it home and within 30 min the Scarlet Hermits were lining up like a buffet line.

Remove all Scarlets for a jail sentence in the Refuiguim.

Put the Maxima on a clam rock from Algae Barn I had on the substrate. Doing fine, mantle extended all is well. Went to bed.

Woke up the next morning and clam, cracked open, but no mantle extended. Picked the clam up, and low and behold, a ton of bristle worms, not on the mantle but near the foot.

Flipped the clam upside down and noticed the worms were eating its foot. used a turkey baster to flush those jerks off of there and gave the clam a 30 min phyto bath.

So I really wish someone told me to put the clam on a high enough rock in the tank that the worms would be "less prone" to eat the dang thing. Or am i just imagining things?

Bristle worms will travel up rocks at night to look for food? And this clam was healthy, I just don't get it.

OP
OP
FishGeist

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses, they seem like the most logical conclusion to this. I think a better chance of success here is to find a larger (6"+) healthier clam next time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back