Brittle star spawning frenzy

beepboop

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2023
Messages
41
Reaction score
18
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kicked up a lot of detritus during a water change today and apparently set off a mini brittle star spawning event. The tan bodied one was first, and then stars started coming out from all over the place in response.

One of the cooler events I’ve witnessed. Although my 6 year old had some questions haha


 
I kicked up a lot of detritus during a water change today and apparently set off a mini brittle star spawning event. The tan bodied one was first, and then stars started coming out from all over the place in response.

One of the cooler events I’ve witnessed. Although my 6 year old had some questions haha


That’s really cool, thanks for sharing!
 
Great video!
I see micro brittlestars spawning periodically and, occasionally, in massive numbers.
It's cool when it happens.

brittlestar_spawn1a.JPG



This one freaked me out because I walked in and saw cloudy water and panicked, until I figured out what was going on:

brittlestar_spawn3a.JPG
 
Great video!
I see micro brittlestars spawning periodically and, occasionally, in massive numbers.
It's cool when it happens.

brittlestar_spawn1a.JPG



This one freaked me out because I walked in and saw cloudy water and panicked, until I figured out what was going on:

brittlestar_spawn3a.JPG
Great pictures. The first one looks like a mini War of the Worlds
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new