BROADCAST FEED!!! No real reason not to. Right?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory I'd agree, but the paper by Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology shows both species specific responses and "goldilocks" responses with specific amounts required to be beneficial and more or less had a negative impact.
So far what I’ve read are those frags, nubbins that were exposed to low flow did poorly. High flow did significantly better. You you referencing food or flow? Thx. Great articles btw.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make up my concoction of frozen cubes, AB+, live phyto, sustainable aquadics hatchery plellets, and a couple pinches of flake food (4 tanks to feed) first broadcast to fish, then target my Acans, blastos, candycanes, and Anemones then try to broadcast leftovers between the tanks twice a week Monday and Thursday. Rest of week i just broadcast Omega One Flakes twice a day.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I went from target feeding, to broadcast feedings heavily twice a day. I use my own mix of frozen, and 60ml of live phyto to an 80G display daily.

My nutrients leveled off, instead of spiking, then falling, then spiking again when I target fed.

My fish are happier, and my corals are fat, fluffy, colorful, and growing quite well. I have read many times over corals prefer ammonia to nitrates. More fish food, fatter fish that poop more often creating more ammonia. I have certainly seen a huge difference when I'm at a low bioload(fish wise), to a totally different tank when in that sweet spot of bioload for my tank.

I personally have noticed a big difference between feeding the tank, and target feeding coral.

Very firm believer in heavy in, heavy out.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I went from target feeding, to broadcast feedings heavily twice a day. I use my own mix of frozen, and 60ml of live phyto to an 80G display daily.

My nutrients leveled off, instead of spiking, then falling, then spiking again when I target fed.

My fish are happier, and my corals are fat, fluffy, colorful, and growing quite well. I have read many times over corals prefer ammonia to nitrates. More fish food, fatter fish that poop more often creating more ammonia. I have certainly seen a huge difference when I'm at a low bioload(fish wise), to a totally different tank when in that sweet spot of bioload for my tank.

I personally have noticed a big difference between feeding the tank, and target feeding coral.

Very firm believer in heavy in, heavy out.
Great response thx! Our own personal science experiments don’t lie to us. BRS Investigates type of multi tank testing has always impressed me. This one would be a good one. Target vs Broadcast. The overall pros and cons to each. Excellent thx again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back