Broken Frags

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya!
I’m in the process of stocking up my new tank and my first order arrived today from Vivid Aquariums. It’s been years since I’ve had a tank and I’m going heavy on SPS this time around. In my order, 3 of the drags I purchased -montipora digitata and a couple of birds nests all arrived with broken branches in the bag. I’ve never had anything arrive broken like this before and I don’t know if should do/say anything about it. The broken pieces are all under an inch long so I’m not sure if I can attach them to plugs and try to salvage them. Also, the main frags that lost the branches now have their skeletons on full display from where the breakage was. I’m hoping they will recover and won’t suffer from the damage.

I suppose my question is: should I bother to contact vivid and say something? Nothing appears to be dead, but I didn’t expect my frags to arrive broken like this.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally get in contact and see what they have to say. Also, whenever I get a stick that lost a little I get it on a plug and give it a shot! I’m normally about 50/50 on saving them! I mean what’s the cost? A plug you can reuse and a little glue? Lol. If the frags that broke look like what was shaded is now open to full light I would also cation you to start them lower in the tank than you normally would. Also! Welcome to R2R!!!! Lol

scdigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would definitely let them know! One of the cool things about sps corals is every time one breaks it's a new frag. Still, you should let them know that they're shipping you broken corals.

OP
OP
Starfishandseahorse

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! As long as my frags don’t die because of the breakage it’s all good. I don’t want to cause a fuss for something trivial. I’ll glue the broken branches to plugs and see how they do.

I’m very surprised that 3 frags I was sent had breakage. Especially since Vivid is based out of Los Angeles and I live in Oceanside, CA which is only a little over an hour away. They didn’t have a very arduous journey to get to me. And when they were delivered the FedEx driver put the package straight into my hands, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t tossed around. My package contained a very large order filled of frags and a ton of inverts all packed together very nicely. I really can’t imagine how I’m earth they were broken. When I first saw the broken pieces I thought maybe Vivid had decided to throw some smaller pieces into the bag as some sort of odd bonus. I think I will reach out and see what they say.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back