Broken isolation

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i bought the skimmer used from a guy, he showed me that it works and everything is fine when i arrived home i saw that isolation is broken and when i dm him he said he won't take it back and that its my fault that this is broken...
Do you know the solution on how to fix it?
If i replace it this will cost me a lot more then i boguht it for.

Screenshot_20230910_123031_Gallery.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's any good way of replacing or repairing this; at least not in a saltwater environment! :crying-face: There was a similar post up the other day with a ReefWave gyre with a broken cable just like this one.

I can't think of any ways that I would trust inside my tank I'm affraid.

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's any good way of replacing or repairing this; at least not in a saltwater environment! :crying-face: There was a similar post up the other day with a ReefWave gyre with a broken cable just like this one.

I can't think of any ways that I would trust inside my tank I'm affraid.
That is really sad...

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really sad...
There might be a way mate, but yes. It is really sad! :angry-face: What I would do might not be allowed to write in this forum but does involve getting real close to the seller once again; mainly of the foot against crutch persuasion.

I hope you sort it out!

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i bought the skimmer used from a guy, he showed me that it works and everything is fine when i arrived home i saw that isolation is broken and when i dm him he said he won't take it back and that its my fault that this is broken...
Do you know the solution on how to fix it?
If i replace it this will cost me a lot more then i boguht it for.

Screenshot_20230910_123031_Gallery.jpg
ConnectorTry something like this

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might be a way mate, but yes. It is really sad! :angry-face: What I would do might not be allowed to write in this forum but does involve getting real close to the seller once again; mainly of the foot against crutch persuasion.

I hope you sort it out!
So, i dm him and he told me that this is my bad and i broke it and that im probably scaming him now. Then after i replied to him with photo day after i bought it and the issue he told me that it is my bad and i saw how it looked (basically he put it in water WHAT IS FUNNIER he tried to show me how it works in fresh water but i had mine saltwater as a backup and he showed me that few of the diods dont work and i was like ok that is not a huge problem, i couldn't flip it to see the cable because i would wet his floor). Then after all of that talking with him he said he wont give me the money back and i can call the police him or even send the report to marketplace. I sent the report but i can't call the police because they won't do anything about it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure if you can use shrinkable tubing for this application. Whether it is considered safe to use within a reef environment I can't tell you.

It would do the job though and there's great variety out there so you should find something that will fit allright. You might have to take off the plug though and put it back on.

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure if you can use shrinkable tubing for this application. Whether it is considered safe to use within a reef environment I can't tell you.

It would do the job though and there's great variety out there so you should find something that will fit allright. You might have to take off the plug though and put it back on.
Do i need something like marine shrinkable tubing?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need something like marine shrinkable tubing?
Not sure if it's a thing.. Have a good google around to see if you can find some saltwater resistant tubing! :)

Also not sure whether the glue used would be safe. I am sure someone else have tried; the search function up in the top right corner is pretty good!

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Insulation" is the word you're looking for.

Why not simply replace the entire cord?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds cool actually but how long will it work? Wont it open by time passing by?
Just make sure you use a heat gun, Harbor Freight has some inexpensive ones. This stuff is not coming off, once you put it on, you are not going to get it off. The adhesive hardens like epoxy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back