Bromine high?!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp test came back with 395ppm of bromine. How is that possible since Im not dosing and have not done a water change in almost 2 months? I was fighting dinos so I stopped 2 part dosing and water changes and just used kalk from BRS. Only other thing added to the tank has been bottled bacteria, phytoplankton and foods to feed the fish.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this article by R2R's resident chemistry guru where he takes a few guesses where it might come from.

Bromine (Br; bromide). The bromide is elevated. I’m not sure why, but it doesn’t really worry me. It might be from the salt mix, or from foods. Except when using ozone, bromide is not a toxin to worry too much about. When exposed to ozone, it becomes bromate, which is more toxic, but that is really a concern for how to use ozone and the concern isn’t changed much by having bromide at 2x the natural level.

If you really want to know you'd have to send in some fresh mixed water to rule it out. Yours is a lot higher than Randy's was, so I'd guess it's building up from feeding and no water changes.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this article by R2R's resident chemistry guru where he takes a few guesses where it might come from.

If you really want to know you'd have to send in some fresh mixed water to rule it out. Yours is a lot higher than Randy's was, so I'd guess it's building up from feeding and no water changes.
Ok thanks. Dont think its my salt but it could be. My last ICP test bromine came back normal and Im still using the same box of Fritz. I am down to the end of that box and am going back to HW salt. Doing a water change here in the next few days, planning at least 15g because I need to get the down and do some major GHA cleaning the the sump and display.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back