Broodstock setups

YellowFinsReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2017
Messages
197
Reaction score
188
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to get into breeding fish ever since my twinspot gobies spawned (unfortunately, they died right after). I'm curious as to how folks here have set up their broodstock tanks. I'm looking to get a giant system like 180G with divided sections. Is this better or should I just run multiple individual tanks? I'm just looking where to start.

Fish I'm considering (and have in pairs) are filefish, triggers, clowns, mandarins, gobies, and angels. Thoughts?
 
I can't speak to breeding marine fish, but for fresh water, I think multiple tanks is ideal. It makes pulling a tank for cleaning, sanitizing, or treatment easier as you do not have to worry accidentally spilling something into a section that is in a growout phase. It will also be easier to access sections and change things around as you adapt your system. You may find that having different sized tanks for different growout phases and different fish may change from what you initially anticipated.

Are you planning on breeding all of them, or focus on one at a time?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new