OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wierd stuff you mention - Any Pics ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kits are you using ?

Parameters in Tank Alpha:
Salinity: 1.018 - Low
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
No-2: 0
No-3: 0
(1 week old)

Parameters in Tank Beta:
Salinity: 1.028- A little high - You want 1.025-1.026
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0- I suspect false reading
No-2: 0
No-3: 0
(Almost 4 weeks old)
I use Ro/Di system installed that I use for all my tanks minus the goldfish tank and I use API master testing kit. I didn't get any pictures today while it was in the water because it was an after-thought and I don't have pictures of what it originally was in the other tank because it legit just looked like algae on camera. But it didn't scratch or siphon off and was incredibly hard to siphon off. It looked like black algae. If it didn't dry up I can get pictures of it on the dry rock tmrw. I do have a picture of what it did to the shrimp thought. I mean- I don't know what shrimp look like after death but it seemed odd to me that it bloated and turned black. You can kind of see the black spots in this picture.

Attachments

• 20230311_152226.jpg
    20230311_152226.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230305_193755.jpg
    20230305_193755.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use Ro/Di system installed that I use for all my tanks minus the goldfish tank and I use API master testing kit. I didn't get any pictures today while it was in the water because it was an after-thought and I don't have pictures of what it originally was in the other tank because it legit just looked like algae on camera. But it didn't scratch or siphon off and was incredibly hard to siphon off. It looked like black algae. If it didn't dry up I can get pictures of it on the dry rock tmrw. I do have a picture of what it did to the shrimp thought. I mean- I don't know what shrimp look like after death but it seemed odd to me that it bloated and turned black. You can kind of see the black spots in this picture.
When you reset these tanks. . . Did you acclimate the shrimp into the tank or just drop it in ?
the stuff on the rocks look like either dried algae or black sponge
I suspect your readings may be higher than you are seeing. Api is notorious for false reading hence the low price for a master kit. Hanna and salifert brands are more reliable. As 2 others found out today, To determine the accuracy of your test kits, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you reset these tanks. . . Did you acclimate the shrimp into the tank or just drop it in ?
the stuff on the rocks look like either dried algae or black sponge
I suspect your readings may be higher than you are seeing. Api is notorious for false reading hence the low price for a master kit. Hanna and salifert brands are more reliable. As 2 others found out today, To determine the accuracy of your test kits, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.
The shrimp died before I reset the tanks. Before the shrimp died I did a 50-60% water change because the shrimp was acting off and there were dead snails in the water, I left him in the tank for another day but he was still acting weird and he wasn't eating or moving so I put him in the QT so if he did die it would be easy to scoop him out and it was easier to monitor him in the QT. The QT was established with pre-existing water from that tank. He died roughly 2-4 days later. He never moved, was super skittish and hid (he used to attack things and scouted them out), and stopped eating completely.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The shrimp died before I reset the tanks. Before the shrimp died I did a 50-60% water change because the shrimp was acting off and there were dead snails in the water, I left him in the tank for another day but he was still acting weird and he wasn't eating or moving so I put him in the QT so if he did die it would be easy to scoop him out and it was easier to monitor him in the QT. The QT was established with pre-existing water from that tank. He died roughly 2-4 days later. He never moved, was super skittish and hid (he used to attack things and scouted them out), and stopped eating completely.
Sorry to hear. For the future.... when setting up quarantine tank, you are removing livestock from a potentially infected tank and using that water will place the livestock in same scenario- Use freshly made water that matches salinity and temperature and even Ph of display tank.

Back