Brown Jelly and Transferring Fish

Limoncello

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2020
Messages
19
Reaction score
11
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I would love your opinion on a tank. The tank has brown jelly and I decided to take the tank down. I have another tank that is thriving. There are about a half dozen fish in the brown jelly tank which I would like to move to the healthy tank. Do people feel transferring the fish is ok if I quarantine the fish for a period of time? Or will I be bringing brown jelly into the healthy tank? Do the fish bring brown jelly no matter what as say part of their biome in the digestive tract?

Thank you.
 
That's a very good question. I have had several cases of BJD over the past 2 years. When it occurs, usually one coral is targeted and destroyed within 2 days. I've not been successful in treating the disease. Very frustrating. One coral will die and another coral just beside the dead one will thrive and never show a sign of disease. My guess is the bacteria/germ/pathogen that causes BJD is in most tanks (like uronema for fish) and is dormant until some event triggers it. Then, the weaker corals are hit hard. My problems occurred on duncans and hammers for the most part.
 
Hello Everyone,

I would love your opinion on a tank. The tank has brown jelly and I decided to take the tank down. I have another tank that is thriving. There are about a half dozen fish in the brown jelly tank which I would like to move to the healthy tank. Do people feel transferring the fish is ok if I quarantine the fish for a period of time? Or will I be bringing brown jelly into the healthy tank? Do the fish bring brown jelly no matter what as say part of their biome in the digestive tract?

Thank you.
Yes you can transfer them, best done as a short acclimation as if you just bought the fish.
You state Brown jelly - It can be dino or bacterial and if you can, please post a pic or two under white light intensity - no blue for assessment
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new