Brown Jelly confirmation and questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Opley
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Opley

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
23
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get an confirmation of brown jelly disease on this torch. I have been losing a head maybe once every other week for a few months. I have a feeling 4-5 heads are on their deathbed. I have seen a little bit of brown coming out of the head before but didn't capture it.

If you believe it is brown jelly disease, what are your thoughts on why it is only on this LPS and only affecting a head every few weeks?
If you do not think it is brown jelly what do you think it is?
How would you treat this since it appears to be localized.

1753447740799.png
1753447754707.png


I know my photo is not the best! Thank you
 
Do you have clownfish that are swimming in this coral?

The image may show BJD, but your description is a weak infection if it is BJD. The loss of one head after another sounds like classical BJD. THe weakest, or most infected head dies first, and the infection slowly kills the LPS present until they are all gone, or until the tank gets treated, (in most BJD infection reports.)

I would treat the whole tank with Cipro as a precaution to what appears to be a slowly moving BJD infection and not wait a few more weeks trying to guess which head is going to disappear next.
 
Do you have clownfish that are swimming in this coral?

The image may show BJD, but your description is a weak infection if it is BJD. The loss of one head after another sounds like classical BJD. THe weakest, or most infected head dies first, and the infection slowly kills the LPS present until they are all gone, or until the tank gets treated, (in most BJD infection reports.)

I would treat the whole tank with Cipro as a precaution to what appears to be a slowly moving BJD infection and not wait a few more weeks trying to guess which head is going to disappear next.
Thank you very much for your response!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new