Brown Jelly

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I had brown jelly about six months ago kill a torch coral in a small 10 gallon tank. I relaxed it with a frogspawn and the same thing happened. Since then, I’ve only bought soft corals for that tank. In about 4-6 months time I plan on upgrading that tank to a 30 gallon tank. If I transfer all tank occupants and corals (which includes 2 hammers), would the risk of brown jelly in subsequent euphylia be high or not? I’ve heard from some that brown jelly only effects damaged corals and others have said it’s incredibly contagious to all LPS. Thank you!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would consider doing an iodine dip on everything moving to the new tank just to help. You might try adding a UV filter to your system, too.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 P-Dub
I made a stupid mistake with a Duncan, my first experience with BJ, I got a Turkey baster to blow it off in my 220, regretted it ever since, lost a torch and 2 gonipora.

Removed all lps and dipped in iodine

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would consider doing an iodine dip on everything moving to the new tank just to help. You might try adding a UV filter to your system, too.
Awesome, thank you. Would an iodine dip eliminate every possibility of brown jelly or just reduce it? I’d probably cry if I filled my tank with euphylia then brown jelly lol it’s what nightmares are made of.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s maybe not bj, but you might have certain bacteria in the system. They kill stressed and weak corals. Maybe UV or antibiotics can help.
I personally used 1 week antibiotics and turned on UV

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s maybe not bj, but you might have certain bacteria in the system. They kill stressed and weak corals. Maybe UV or antibiotics can help.
I personally used 1 week antibiotics and turned on UV
A42116E9-E3A9-4622-9562-57BAD5B6B2D4.jpeg

This is a photo ages ago of the Torch Coral. It looks like brown jelly but I’m not too versed in types of coral diseases myself. Also, can you get UV that doesn’t require any sort of plumbing in order to work because my 30 gallon wont have that functionality. Then again I’m also a beginner in regards to UV as well lol.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A42116E9-E3A9-4622-9562-57BAD5B6B2D4.jpeg

This is a photo ages ago of the Torch Coral. It looks like brown jelly but I’m not too versed in types of coral diseases myself. Also, can you get UV that doesn’t require any sort of plumbing in order to work because my 30 gallon wont have that functionality. Then again I’m also a beginner in regards to UV as well lol.
I had the same thing. I am also not so sure it is bj, I had some torches were fully opened the day before, and next day one head turns to black/ goo ish like yours. I even tried to cut the decaying head off. The rest seemed ok for a period and died at last. But back than I didn’t use any antibiotics or UV. My lfs told me to utilize antibiotics for a week, and I added UV to the system. It has been 5-6 months since, and my torches are doing great.
yeah, I got one from ebay. It’s basically a submersible pump with UV lights. You can just place it in your sump close to the flow or to the return. It’s maybe not the best quality, but so far so good
You can also turn the flow on this UV bit down, so the water gets enough time for treatment.
CE9EA925-628E-44B2-A5D8-3C106302A4FA.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. Would an iodine dip eliminate every possibility of brown jelly or just reduce it? I’d probably cry if I filled my tank with euphylia then brown jelly lol it’s what nightmares are made of.
There are no guarantees in this hobby but a dip sure would help.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing. I am also not so sure it is bj, I had some torches were fully opened the day before, and next day one head turns to black/ goo ish like yours. I even tried to cut the decaying head off. The rest seemed ok for a period and died at last. But back than I didn’t use any antibiotics or UV. My lfs told me to utilize antibiotics for a week, and I added UV to the system. It has been 5-6 months since, and my torches are doing great.
yeah, I got one from ebay. It’s basically a submersible pump with UV lights. You can just place it in your sump close to the flow or to the return. It’s maybe not the best quality, but so far so good
You can also turn the flow on this UV bit down, so the water gets enough time for treatment.
CE9EA925-628E-44B2-A5D8-3C106302A4FA.png
Thanks so much for that. I’ll definitely look into something like that for my new tank because it was a bit annoying seeing all the UV’s that needed plumbing. I think the mistake I made was assuming that cutting the effected heads of would do the job and I waited too long. May I ask, what types of antibiotics did you use and do you know if they are reef safe?

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for that. I’ll definitely look into something like that for my new tank because it was a bit annoying seeing all the UV’s that needed plumbing. I think the mistake I made was assuming that cutting the effected heads of would do the job and I waited too long. May I ask, what types of antibiotics did you use and do you know if they are reef safe?
It’s this one. For a 30g you only need like half pill over one week. I dissolved one pill in a bottle of Costco purified drink water. And added in to my tank over a week. Mine is 65g. But I had very bad experience with so called reef safe medicines especially when I have torches in the tank. I was very nervous. Even though nothing bad happened to the
Corals.
588F9E4A-BB5F-49D7-AB19-225D9B94206E.png

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham mentioned a product on the ReefDudes youtube stream a while back. It was a dip of something like 10ml's of the product and 1L of tank water as a dip. They also mentioned the use of Hydrogen peroxide.

I realized as I was typing that this wasn't very helpful- maybe the sensei himself can chime in.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi P-Dub, Any specific iodine brand (and strength) that i should consider for the dip? How long the dip should be? Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 P-Dub
I made a stupid mistake with a Duncan, my first experience with BJ, I got a Turkey baster to blow it off in my 220, regretted it ever since, lost a torch and 2 gonipora.

Hi Twoddler, i did the exact same mistake.. now the bacteria causing the BJ is in the system... how do we get rid of it from the tank? Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s this one. For a 30g you only need like half pill over one week. I dissolved one pill in a bottle of Costco purified drink water. And added in to my tank over a week. Mine is 65g. But I had very bad experience with so called reef safe medicines especially when I have torches in the tank. I was very nervous. Even though nothing bad happened to the
Corals.
588F9E4A-BB5F-49D7-AB19-225D9B94206E.png
Hi Enkopaaisen,

May I know if it need to be Aqua Cipro? Or can it be any general ciprofloxacin pills that we can get from the pharmacy?

Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 P-Dub

Any suggestions or recommendation on how to administer (e.g. dilution, dip duration, etc.) the iodine dip? Thanks

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham mentioned a product on the ReefDudes youtube stream a while back. It was a dip of something like 10ml's of the product and 1L of tank water as a dip. They also mentioned the use of Hydrogen peroxide.

I realized as I was typing that this wasn't very helpful- maybe the sensei himself can chime in.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but 10mL of Melafix in 1L of water for 10 minutes worked well for me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%

Back