Brown Smooth Hound Shark (Mustelus Henlei)?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, has anyone kept this species before that can shed a light of information on me? I am thinking it's possible that most fish stores that claim they can obtain these species are mixing them up with Grey Smooth Hounds. I have been told 3 times now this species reaches lengths of 5' while every article I've read has stated they on average reach a size of 2' and the largest specimens can possibly reach 1 meter, but nothing I've seen has stated anywhere near 5'. This article from the Florida Museum is one source https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/mustelus-henlei/. If anyone that has actually kept this species can confirm this please let me know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, has anyone kept this species before that can shed a light of information on me? I am thinking it's possible that most fish stores that claim they can obtain these species are mixing them up with Grey Smooth Hounds. I have been told 3 times now this species reaches lengths of 5' while every article I've read has stated they on average reach a size of 2' and the largest specimens can possibly reach 1 meter, but nothing I've seen has stated anywhere near 5'. This article from the Florida Museum is one source https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/mustelus-henlei/. If anyone that has actually kept this species can confirm this please let me know.
Maybe @dantimdad can provide some insight, as he has kept numerous kinds of sharks over the years.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I sent this article to the 3 vendors who told me that they could collect this species and also asked for pictures of any they have/had. No responses yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already talked to Jay, he never kept a Brown.

I just checked Scott Michael's shark book (forgot I had a copy!). Turns out he has a lot of good natural history on these (though I'm not sure he has ever actually kept one himself). They can reach a bit more than 3' in length in the wild, so typically, I find that means about 28" in captivity. He indicates they are extreme jumpers (as I discovered with grays). He also gives a maximum water temperature for both species as 70 F. (I kept grays at 68 degrees or below). He says their gut contents is mostly krill, with other crustaceans. He lists a minimum tank size of 1200 gallons for this species, which aligns with my discovery that 950 gallons was too small for gray smoothhounds....

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just checked Scott Michael's shark book (forgot I had a copy!). Turns out he has a lot of good natural history on these (though I'm not sure he has ever actually kept one himself). They can reach a bit more than 3' in length in the wild, so typically, I find that means about 28" in captivity. He indicates they are extreme jumpers (as I discovered with grays). He also gives a maximum water temperature for both species as 70 F. (I kept grays at 68 degrees or below). He says their gut contents is mostly krill, with other crustaceans. He lists a minimum tank size of 1200 gallons for this species, which aligns with my discovery that 950 gallons was too small for gray smoothhounds....

Jay
So likely the vendors I'm speaking with are confusing this species with Gray smooth hounds then would you agree?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So likely the vendors I'm speaking with are confusing this species with Gray smooth hounds then would you agree?

I bet they are. The grays are the ones I see in the trade most often. I just checked Matsu Collections (a public aquarium supplier) he only lists grays.

Jay

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do sharks again, they would be browns. Sweet fish and more active than cat sharks. They just eat a ton and you need way more filter than you think you need.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I were to do sharks again, they would be browns. Sweet fish and more active than cat sharks. They just eat a ton and you need way more filter than you think you need.
Would a Bubble Magus B12 and B9 be enough?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ran a 1500 gallon rated skimmer on an 8 foot pool run at about 625 gallons and a refugium and about 300 pounds of live rock in a stock tank sump and did 50 gallon water changes twice a week. It stay crystal clear and never smelled bad.

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear if you ever found a supplier for Brown Smooth Hounds? I may be interested as well.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Browns are deep water. Your best bet is Grey, Starry, or Japan
No that's not my best bet because those all get 4' or larger. Those are your best bet to collect but not the best bet for my tank and qol of the shark.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back