Brown Snotty Algae

Crackem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fallow and I only have a large cuc but my brown snotty diatom algae will not go away and is definitely getting worse. It used to be only on powerheads, overflow, and the back glass , and now it has moved to my rocks and is really getting disgusting. I recently changed my filter socks but I haven't done a water change since 9/16/15. I turned up the flow and my t5 and LED lighting periods have been reduced. I am ghost feeding pellets every other day to keep the bacteria alive. I'm also running gfo. Tank has only been running since June. Tank is barebottom and no live rock or anything from my old tank was added. I bought all my rocks online because I wanted a specific aquascape and I was worried that they were leaching Aluminum Silicates so I sent my water to triton for testing. I posted my results on the chemistry forum and was told that they seemed ok. Po4 was at 0.02 and nitrates were at 0. I cut my skimmer off to try to raise my nitrates up and now they are at 2.5ppm. I still havent done a water change because I was trying to raise the nitrates up. I am now at a loss and will post some pics of this brown snotty algae that will not go away. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back