Brown spots on dry rock

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve gone through the diatom phase and am in the green algae phase. But now I’m starting to see these brown spots showing up on the dry rock. I’d like to mention that I do I have one small piece of live rock from my LFS that has coralline algae on it, though I don’t think that’s significant to this question. Any ideas on what it is? I have not tried brushing it off yet but by the looks of it, it doesn’t look like it would brush off. I’ll try that tomorrow morning when the lights are back on.
7671266A-04C3-4F43-87DD-04E9F1E0BC13.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks fairly new, most likely just part of the ugly stage would just ride it out. Was a good choice on putting that live rock in the tank. I would just make sure you have readable levels of no3 and PO4 and should be all good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re diatoms and derive from silicates and developing organically.
If you wish to stay ahead of it, you can blow loose with a turkey baster and reduce white light intensity a little and add snails such as turbo, astrea, trochus, nassarius and a few blue leg hermit crabs

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re diatoms and derive from silicates and developing organically.
If you wish to stay ahead of it, you can blow loose with a turkey baster and reduce white light intensity a little and add snails such as turbo, astrea, trochus, nassarius and a few blue leg hermit crabs
Though it’s possible it’s diatoms, i sincerely doubt it. I put new inhabitants and coral in today so I didn’t get a chance to try and blow it off but, as I mentioned, it doesn’t look like the diatoms that hit my tank 2 weeks ago. It doesn’t look like it can brush off or blow away.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can’t test phosphate yet since I don’t have a test that will check that. I do have high nitrates. 60ppm. It’s the reason I implemented the refugium.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long your Phos and Nitrates arnt bottomed out....should rule out the Dino....maybe just diatoms having another go at it...Diatoms are a part of the natural cycle in the ocean and happen yearly but they arnt a thing to worry about imho..just not pretty. If it means anything my Diatoms wouldnt blow off the rock or anything...took some snails to clean it up.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long your Phos and Nitrates arnt bottomed out....should rule out the Dino....maybe just diatoms having another go at it...Diatoms are a part of the natural cycle in the ocean and happen yearly but they arnt a thing to worry about imho..just not pretty. If it means anything my Diatoms wouldnt blow off the rock or anything...took some snails to clean it up.
I have snails in there so they’ll take care of I’m sure. Just curious as to what they were. Also have hermits in there now as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If not diatomous, may then be a bacteria

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back