Brown spots on foxface and fin rot on blenny

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just got this foxface a week ago. Seemingly overnight these three brown spots appeared on his side. My blenny also seems to have gotten some fin rot over the last few days. I figure I need some antibiotics for the blenny. Any help with a diagnosis/treatment on the fox face? PXL_20230716_165257688.jpg PXL_20230716_165843990.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just got this foxface a week ago. Seemingly overnight these three brown spots appeared on his side. My blenny also seems to have gotten some fin rot over the last few days. I figure I need some antibiotics for the blenny. Any help with a diagnosis/treatment on the fox face? PXL_20230716_165257688.jpg PXL_20230716_165843990.jpg
Those pictures are hard to see under blues, The fish medics will want clear pictures under white light, a video of 30 seconds under white light of each fish, history of the fish (when it was added, QT ect) and your water parameters! Hopefully they can help. By the way your tank is gorgeous!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like punctures wounds which could be a result of urchin, tail strikes from a tang and even stings from an anemone. Observe area daily for signs of healing opposed to infection.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll start off by saying I know the tank is too small for the fox face. He will be moving into my 125g when it's done cycling, assuming he's healthy .

I was able to get some videos. I'll try and take better pictures of the spots on the fox face soon. He got scared when the lights changed. Anyway, their behavior seems normal to me.

The blenny I've had for over a year. The only new addition is the foxface. He's been in the tank for a week. I didn't personally quarantine, but my LFS does a 4 week QT treated with copper.

I'll check my parameters later today. I know I've been struggling with higher than average phosphates lately (around 0.2) but I figured my corals would respond negatively more quickly than fish if there was a major parameter issue.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note that I do have a tuxedo urchin, and the large BTA seen in the videos. I noticed that the clown is getting territorial when the foxface swims over the BTA and she's nipping at him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note that I do have a tuxedo urchin, and the large BTA seen in the videos. I noticed that the clown is getting territorial when the foxface swims over the BTA and she's nipping at him.

I bet the foxface spots are just coral or anemone stings. At least they don't look like any of the major communicable parasitic diseases.

The dorsal fin erosion on the blenny looks pretty serious. I think it needs to be treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic in a treatment tank - the infection is down into the fish's back muscles now.

Jay

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'll start setting up a hospital tank for the blenny and order some antibiotics. I feel bad for not catching the fin rot sooner. I just noticed last night but it must have developed over some time.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown spots on the foxface went away within a few days. I put my blenny into a hospital tank and treated with kanaplex for a week or so per the instructions and his fins are regrowing! He's looking better already. Thanks for the help all.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%

Back