Brownish red algae on sand

Abizzy9110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 months old and cycled! Is this good or bad? Do I leave it alone? Or clean it? If I need to clean it please tell me how? Thank you

IMG_7081.jpeg

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. Some people go nuts trying to get rid of diatoms because they're mildly unsightly, then end up with blooms of the much more problematic organisms the diatoms were out competing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Diatoms are not always part of the process - However its common - do they disappear overnight and re-appear after the lights are on- you could try siphoning off the sand - and adding fresh saltwater thereafter. This should take care of cyano and diatoms. Many people will say 'cyano will grow with low nutrients' - another post the other day (I believe from triton) says if you have cyano, it is best to change water - so I don't want to enter that debate here:). I'm not talking about huge amounts - just siphon your sand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just siphon your sand slightly every day - it will improve (add fresh salt water)

OP
OP
A

Abizzy9110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, they are not to terrible I will keep and eye on them. If they get way outta control I will revisit, but tank is only 2 months old so just wanted to be sure that I’m doing g things properly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back