Bubbles from my sand bed

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last few weeks I have noticed the occasional large bubble escaping my sand bed. By chance, I've caught sight of them as they leave the sand, and I'm convinced they are indeed gas leaving the sand, and not an accumulation of microbubbles or something like that. I probably see this 3 or 4 times a day which means it happens a lot since I don't get to stare longingly at my tank all day long.

My tank is only 6 months old, and only has a 2" sand bed (on average) so I'm assuming this isn't anaerobic conversion of nitrates to nitrogen gas.

I'm wondering if it is a sign that I need more sand sifting/stirring critters? I have two conchs that seem to cover a lot of ground, but not much else in the way of things that dig in the sand. Maybe add some Nassarius snails?

The tank is a 120gal (4'x2'x2').

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last few weeks I have noticed the occasional large bubble escaping my sand bed. By chance, I've caught sight of them as they leave the sand, and I'm convinced they are indeed gas leaving the sand, and not an accumulation of microbubbles or something like that. I probably see this 3 or 4 times a day which means it happens a lot since I don't get to stare longingly at my tank all day long.

My tank is only 6 months old, and only has a 2" sand bed (on average) so I'm assuming this isn't anaerobic conversion of nitrates to nitrogen gas.

I'm wondering if it is a sign that I need more sand sifting/stirring critters? I have two conchs that seem to cover a lot of ground, but not much else in the way of things that dig in the sand. Maybe add some narcissus snails?

The tank is a 120gal (4'x2'x2').

Thanks!
Nothing bad comes from having a proper CuC. However I don't think your situation is cause for concern. Check out reefcleaners.org and their cleaner packages.

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing bad comes from having a proper CuC. However I don't think your situation is cause for concern. Check out reefcleaners.org and their cleaner packages.
Ehh... I wouldn't say "nothing bad comes". Be careful. Some CuC can nip at coral if their food source is all gone. Some will rearrange coral/plugs. Still worth it though. I have all kinds of shrimp, snail, and crab in my 150g.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost some snails over the last few months. Or, as someone else said on here, they spontaneously turned into hermit crabs.

I haven't had much algae growth lately so I've been hesitant to starve any more snails, but maybe some subterranean workers would be good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back