Bubble algae?

Jakejtown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was shocked when I looked at tank and saw all these bubbles on the sand bed. I have been reading everything I can as this is my first saltwater tank. I remembered reading about bubble algae so I started reading everything I could find on bubble algae. (Worried at this point as it seems to be hard to get rid of). This morning first thing I looked at tank and no bubbles? How can that be? It was confined to Small area of the sand bed. Now nothing! Did my crabs take care of it? Or really is to still there just to rear it’s head again soon?

This is mt 13.5 fluval evo AIO
2 clowns
2 large snails
Approx 10 crabs of different sizes. (Lfs supplied them) not sure what type
Tank started in November 23
Mixed reef -all corals seem healthy with great color. Clove polyp gas lots of new growth and my zoas are beautiful.
Dosing b-ionic calcium buffer no 1 and 2
Water temp 77.9 currently.
Ca 440
Alk 10.5. Working on slowly bringing it down with very small dose adjustment
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2
Phosphate .20
Carbon in chamber
Salinity 1027

I know I can’t be that lucky! I’m attaching pictures of algae yesterday afternoon and pictures this morning of tank. 2 pictures of algae last picture of tank this morning

IMG_2890.jpeg IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_1025.jpeg

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from your pics due to blue lights, but bubbles on sand bed can also be bacteria forming. I would say normal part of your new tank

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with your N at 0, it could be diatoms. I'd bring that up to about 10, and I'd take salinity down to 1.025.

but the experts will speak more truth than I.

OP
OP
Jakejtown

Jakejtown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from your pics due to blue lights, but bubbles on sand bed can also be bacteria forming. I would say normal part of your new tank

OP
OP
Jakejtown

Jakejtown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with your N at 0, it could be diatoms. I'd bring that up to about 10, and I'd take salinity down to 1.025.

but the experts will speak more truth than I.
Thank you! Did water change today and clean the sand. Have new test kit coming tomorrow. Will test again and see where we are.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on likely air bubbles. If you gently blow water at them via turkey baster or even pipette and they escape, you have gas bubbles. If a newer tank, often you will get these bubbles on sand and glass. It can be due in part to lack of water flow

OP
OP
Jakejtown

Jakejtown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! After reading all this stuff, I just knew it was bad. Have had great luck with this small tank and assumed the worst. I do weekly water changes of 10 percent but did about a 40 percent change today and cleaned the sand. Tank looks great today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back