Bubble and hair algae outbreak together

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings reefers,

I honestly need desperate help with the tank. I lost all of my fish due to some disease a couple of weeks ago. After deaths. I have done two water changes after that one 50% and another 25%.
I have many corals in the tank still. Now all of the sudden I see this massive outbreak of bubble and hair algae together. Tank is over 6 months old. I understand that it’s part of the cycle process. But it is getting uglier and uglier. I have two turbo snails/ four bubble bee snails/ emerald crab/ counch/ and sea orchin in the tank as cleaning crew but no help.

Moreover today I noticed there is some white mucus around my touches and they look unhappy and their tentacles aren’t fluffing anymore. Not sure what is wrong with the coral. What can I do to help my touch’s from dying?

Tank: 32g Bio Cube
Uv sterilizer
Protein skimmer
Levels
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 0

Coral feeding : Red Sea AB+
Dosing : all for reef 5-10 drops a day
Fish feed : Brine shrimp and added Garlic after deaths

What can I do to prevent the tank to dying. I am loosing hope at this point. Please advice and recommendations to help me keep this hobby going.

IMG_8973.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump up the CuC. If in the US order from reefcleaners.org for a tank cleaner package.

Remove what you can by hand and get your nitrate up. Currently there's no food for the coral.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what are the rest of your parameters?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get all the fish out that died? I'd go to your LFS and get more snails to help with the algae. It would be good to know your phosphates to see if you're starting to get dinos on top of everything. Also
Also what are the rest of your parameters?
That would be very helpful. Have you dosed extra All for Reef by mistake or maybe your tank hasn't been consuming all of what you're dosing causing it to slowly build up.

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go get yourself a few pithos crab for the bubble and hair algae and then thank me later. I had 1 pithos in my 10 gallon that cleared about an acre of 2” long hair algae in 2 weeks

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get all the fish out that died? I'd go to your LFS and get more snails to help with the algae. It would be good to know your phosphates to see if you're starting to get dinos on top of everything. Also
That would be very helpful. Have you dosed extra All for Reef by mistake or maybe your tank hasn't been consuming all of what you're dosing causing it to slowly build up.
Yes I did take all dead fish out within hours they died. I did stop on all for reef and slow down on coral feeding too. I am planning to add more tub snails .
It has been a depressing experience for me. If you see my posts I posted last month that how much I have learnt about saltwater etc how I am loving it. But now new chapter is here to recover my tank.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did take all dead fish out within hours they died. I did stop on all for reef and slow down on coral feeding too. I am planning to add more tub snails .
It has been a depressing experience for me. If you see my posts I posted last month that how much I have learnt about saltwater etc how I am loving it. But now new chapter is here to recover my tank.
It's always a journey up and down! It's the puzzle of trying to figure out where it went wrong and how to make sure it doesn't happen again. Remember nothing fast happens with a tank. The issue probably took a while to build up without realizing and its time to slowly correct it back down

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a journey up and down! It's the puzzle of trying to figure out where it went wrong and how to make sure it doesn't happen again. Remember nothing fast happens with a tank. The issue probably took a while to build up without realizing and its time to slowly correct it back down
I honestly wanted to upgrade my tank to 90-120g but dreading atm. Not sure investing money in it a great idea since I am still a beginner. I loved my touches, had them for over three months. See them dying is most depressing. Not sure if you know there is some white mucus appeared around them ?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not I need to buy a kit. Do you recommend any I can get to test those? I bought API for water testing everyone said that it is not good ?
I highly recommend getting full testing supplies. You're flying blind without it: Salifert, hanna, redsea, aquaforest. We can speculate ideas but it's hard without a full picture. The mucus could be a bacterial bloom and a UV sterilizers could help. The brown bubbles and such could be dinos if you have no phosphates too or cyano with your nitrates being bottomed out.
Personally I use the following but everyone has their preferences:
Hanna for phosphates,
Salifert for alk and nitrates, ph, calcium,
Aquaforest for MG

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend getting full testing supplies. You're flying blind without it: Salifert, hanna, redsea, aquaforest. We can speculate ideas but it's hard without a full picture. The mucus could be a bacterial bloom and a UV sterilizers could help. The brown bubbles and such could be dinos if you have no phosphates too or cyano with your nitrates being bottomed out.
Personally I use the following but everyone has their preferences:
Hanna for phosphates,
Salifert for alk and nitrates, ph, calcium,
Aquaforest for MG
Will something like this work ?

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the lawnmower technique, scrubbing the rocks with new brush. And changed 50% water. Do you it will help with algae outbreak with that ? Moreover added 5 more turbo snails.

Attachments

• IMG_8997.jpeg
    IMG_8997.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 14

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back