Some sort of algae, cyano or Dino's?!?!?

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I've been struggling with this algae for the past two weeks, I have reduced my lights, I have stock fluval evo tank, only thing I have upgraded is return pump, rfg nozzles. Waiting for media baskets to arrive together with 1/2 inch rfg.
I've been doing water changes each week of about 15 liters in my tank. However, this reddish, slime algae has been popping up. I got myself a syphen to clean the sand bed and will do it tomorrow morning. I will attach a picture. I'm asking for advice, how do I get rid of it? Tank is about 6 weeks old.

IMG20240208170241.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano for sure. Tons of threads here on how to eliminate it. Use the search function on the site. Good luck

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check ur levels.
Usually cyano comes up when something is changing. Usually ends up with dinos.
I've had it happen twice.
Last time I checked in my LFS, but that was after a big water change and my phosphates were low, so I'll take a sample before water change and do my weekly water change and then head to my LFS to check the water and see parameters of it before my water change.
I think I have rushed with stacking up my tank quicky and not taking my time, I'm now paying the price. :(

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked in my LFS, but that was after a big water change and my phosphates were low, so I'll take a sample before water change and do my weekly water change and then head to my LFS to check the water and see parameters of it before my water change.
I think I have rushed with stacking up my tank quicky and not taking my time, I'm now paying the price. :(
I might not do the water change...
Your levels acually could have bottomed out.
Might not seem likely but it happend to my mother's 75gal.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
When you do add em here.
You can blow the cyano off the rock and pick it up if you want. Which I would do.
I'll post the results here once I get it checked.
This might be a silly question, however, I would like to ask. I don't mix my own water. I buy it in bulk, 4 canisters of 25 liters each from my LFS and they sit in my shed for quite some time, during my water changes, I'll pull a drum out and leave it in my living room to get up to temperature and then shake it with my hand and do my 20% water change. That's okay and perfectly acceptable right?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post the results here once I get it checked.
This might be a silly question, however, I would like to ask. I don't mix my own water. I buy it in bulk, 4 canisters of 25 liters each from my LFS and they sit in my shed for quite some time, during my water changes, I'll pull a drum out and leave it in my living room to get up to temperature and then shake it with my hand and do my 20% water change. That's okay and perfectly acceptable right?
I have no clue.
Sometimes people let them sit? But that might be woth powerhead?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back