BRS 2 part dosing

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped. Im using brs 1.1ml doser for 2 part dosing. i used their calculator to get the right amount i have a total of 87 gallons i put 80 gallons in the calculator. my alk wa sat 8.5 and i wanted to raise it to 9.0.

The calculator calls for 28.5 ml to raise from 8.5 to 9.0 so for a 1.1ml doser thats 25 minutes. so thats what i did yesterday and today my alk is at 9.8.................. o_O

I use hanna checker for alk i opened a new one last week.
im using the new pharma products i bought the starter pack that comes with the packages to mix in the provided 1 gallon jugs. i mixed them and waited until the next day to use them all three jugs mag calcium alk where crystal clear.

How can the brs calculator be sooooOOOOOO off or what did i do wrong

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are approximately 1.1 ml per minute, the one I had was closer to 2 ml a minute. Get a graduated cylinder and run it for 10 minutes. What ever number it fills to in the 10 minutes just divide by 10 and that’s what it doses. For example if at 10 minutes it stops at 16 ml divided by 10 is 1.6 ml per minute.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are approximately 1.1 ml per minute, the one I had was closer to 2 ml a minute. Get a graduated cylinder and run it for 10 minutes. What ever number it fills to in the 10 minutes just divide by 10 and that’s what it doses. For example if at 10 minutes it stops at 16 ml divided by 10 is 1.6 ml per minute.

This. Mine runs at 2.1 ml per minute (actually both of mine do). I think it’s actually very common for these to run at about 2 ml/min.

OP
OP
S

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its running right now. let see what it is after 10 minutes..... if its 2 ml per minute i doubled the dosage which would get it to 9.8 ish........... -_-

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its running right now. let see what it is after 10 minutes..... if its 2 ml per minute i doubled the dosage which would get it to 9.8 ish........... -_-
Well times up!!! Lol

OP
OP
S

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed literally double what i was suppose to. Someone really needs to tell them thank god i didnt do this on my Frag tank

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a common issue and that’s why they cover their buts by saying approximately 1.1ml per minute.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remember no matter the brand double check everything that doses or poops anything in your tank it will save you a ton of headaches. Over my 25 years I have made a ton of mistakes and many are ones that I surely new better but still did it anyway. It happens that god you are one that checks your levels properly and caught the issue as many don’t until it’s to late.

OP
OP
S

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remember no matter the brand double check everything that doses or poops anything in your tank it will save you a ton of headaches. Over my 25 years I have made a ton of mistakes and many are ones that I surely new better but still did it anyway. It happens that god you are one that checks your levels properly and caught the issue as many don’t until it’s to late.

seriously if id have left it for 3 days like everyone says my corals would have been toasted. alk at 13 or something crazy

OP
OP
S

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways case closed!!! thank you for the help! i fixed the apex programming for the new and correct flow rate -_-. Now ima just wait until the levels drop back to the 8.8 alk range before i turn the pumps back on.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways case closed!!! thank you for the help! i fixed the apex programming for the new and correct flow rate -_-. Now ima just wait until the levels drop back to the 8.8 alk range before i turn the pumps back on.
That’s why we are all here! Help others from making the same mistakes we have. Happy reefing!!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like your doser was running faster than expected, but also, the accuracy of the Hanna alk checker (assuming you have the HI-772) is ±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading - so if you get a reading of 9.8, the actual alk could be as low as 9.0 (or as high as 10.6). See the calculator at: http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/test-kit-calculators.html

Yeah i have the 772 reagent and no its not that inaccurate, roughly 0.3 up or down which is really good. you dont need to know what alk is at EXACTLY. You just need consistency. if you always measure at 9.0 thats where you need to be regardless if its 9.3 9.4 8.7 8.6

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have the 772 reagent and no its not that inaccurate, roughly 0.3 up or down which is really good.

When you say 0.3 up or down, I think you're talking about repeatability of the readings, which I agree is pretty consistent to what I see when I take multiple readings using the same water sample. But it's the manufacturer accuracy specs that tell you how close that reading is to reality, which is +/- 0.8 when you're in that range of the scale.

You just need consistency. if you always measure at 9.0 thats where you need to be regardless if its 9.3 9.4 8.7 8.6

Yes, totally agree.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back