Brs 2 part vs. aquaforest

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the switch to run AF 1,2,3+ over brs 2 part about 1-2 months ago. I'm currently making my own 1,2,3 components using AF guidelines but I find myself having to dose twice as much ml/hr as compared to the brs solution.

My question is.... are both alk and cal supplements the same minus the strong components (a,b,c & k) that AF uses? Can I add the strong components to the brs cal and alk without a problem?

I'm looking to go back to brs 2 part (alk & cal) because it mixes better/faster, only have to dos 160ml instead of 320ml and clear jugs.

Taking all suggestions/advice.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the switch to run AF 1,2,3+ over brs 2 part about 1-2 months ago. I'm currently making my own 1,2,3 components using AF guidelines but I find myself having to dose twice as much ml/hr as compared to the brs solution.

My question is.... are both alk and cal supplements the same minus the strong components (a,b,c & k) that AF uses? Can I add the strong components to the brs cal and alk without a problem?

I'm looking to go back to brs 2 part (alk & cal) because it mixes better/faster, only have to dos 160ml instead of 320ml and clear jugs.

Taking all suggestions/advice.
That’s interesting as I have been talking to some aquaforest reps on here and from what I understand it’s higher concentrated so you would need less. How much solution did you mix for part 1 and 2?

OP
OP
cginter

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting as I have been talking to some aquaforest reps on here and from what I understand it’s higher concentrated so you would need less. How much solution did you mix for part 1 and 2?

Comp 1: 5000ml
250g ca
18ml comp a & b strong

Comp 2: 5000ml
400g kh buffer
18ml comp c strong.

I couldn't find the web page I got the recipe from but this is a vid of the same thing.

As far as it being higher concentration, I would beg to differ.

OP
OP
cginter

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how Aquaforest formulates their products, so I can't say for sure what you can mix with my DIY (the BRS two part).

For calcium they're using CaCI2 at 50g/1000 ml.

For alk NaHCO3 at 80g/1000 ml

I dunno if that's what you meant by formulates or not?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comp 1: 5000ml
250g ca
18ml comp a & b strong

Comp 2: 5000ml
400g kh buffer
18ml comp c strong.

I couldn't find the web page I got the recipe from but this is a vid of the same thing.

As far as it being higher concentration, I would beg to differ.

Hmm, I also use the AF products and mix up the Strong trace elements. I could have sworn it is 5ml/L of the Strong ingredients rather than 18ml/5L that you have been using. Hmm, going to have to go check if I have been mixing at the wrong strength.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked on the Aqua Forest site. They suggest 5ml/L of the strong components, and 19ml/US Gallon.

Component A Strong
Component contains concentrated strontium and barium. The amount of strontium and barium depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of calcium chloride. Recommended use with Aquaforest Calcium products. Capacity: bottle of 75ml
US:19ml should be added to 1 US gal.

Component B Strong
Component contains concentrated heavy metals. The amount of heavy metals depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of calcium chloride. Recommended use with Aquaforest Calcium products. Capacity: bottle of 75ml

Component C Strong
Component contains concentrated iodide and fluoride. The amount of iodide and fluoride depends on requirements for calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of sodium bicarbonate. Recommended use with Aquaforest® KH Bufferproduct. Capacity: bottle of 75ml

Component K Strong
Component contains concentrated potassium. The amount of potassium depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of magnesium chloride and mineral salt. Recommended use with Aquaforest® Magnesium and Reef Mineral Salt product. Capacity: bottle of 75ml.
US:19ml should be added to 1 US gal.​

Dennis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For calcium they're using CaCI2 at 50g/1000 ml.

For alk NaHCO3 at 80g/1000 ml

I dunno if that's what you meant by formulates or not?

No, I meant how much of what is in the other chemicals.

But anything they add to calcium chloride can be added to the calcium part of my DIY and anything they add to sodium carbonate can be added to my alk part.

The issue is really magnesium (the third part of my DIY). My DIY is balanced with respect to chloride/sulfate and calcium/magnesium using this part, and I'm not sure if Aquaforest balances things in a different way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked on the Aqua Forest site. They suggest 5ml/L of the strong components, and 19ml/US Gallon.

Component A Strong
Component contains concentrated strontium and barium. The amount of strontium and barium depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of calcium chloride. Recommended use with Aquaforest Calcium products. Capacity: bottle of 75ml

Component B Strong
Component contains concentrated heavy metals. The amount of heavy metals depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of calcium chloride. Recommended use with Aquaforest Calcium products. Capacity: bottle of 75ml

Component C Strong
Component contains concentrated iodide and fluoride. The amount of iodide and fluoride depends on requirements for calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of sodium bicarbonate. Recommended use with Aquaforest® KH Bufferproduct. Capacity: bottle of 75ml

Component K Strong
Component contains concentrated potassium. The amount of potassium depends on requirements for magnesium and calcium. 5 ml should be added to 1 litre of ready solution of magnesium chloride and mineral salt. Recommended use with Aquaforest® Magnesium and Reef Mineral Salt product. Capacity: bottle of 75ml.
US:19ml should be added to 1 US gal.​

Dennis

IMO, component A is not needed or beneficial if that is all it has in it. Same is probably true of C. But assuming they are of an appropriate concentration, there's no harm either.

B could be put into the calcium part of my DIY.

I cannot tell how the formulate K and it might have to be put into the magnesium part of the DIY or the calcium part.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back