Tropic Marin Part C re-balance.

Salt Bank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen topics talking about BRs 2 part dosing. With Tropic Marin part C add on as well.
2 part dosing Alk and Cal over time will cause the salt to move toward sodium chloride. To counter I have been adding TM part C to the system at 2x the Alk dos per day. Based on the ICP-analysis test chloride and sulfate seem to be high.
Would this be an Indication that I need to dos more part C to re-balance the system?
Tank is 110gal with 50gal sump. Been running for about 2 years now. Skimmer, uv, macro grow in sump.
Dosing brs soda ash 90ml a day, brs calcium chloride 80ml a day, TM part C 180ml per day, strontium 5ml per day. NO Mag dose of any kind except in the part c.
My thinking is I need to do a large dose of part C.

Screenshot_20231030_111921_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS uses my designed two part, and if you use it exactly as I describe, the chloride to sulfate ratio is properly balanced without Balling Part C by the use of my part 3. But it appears that you have not been following the specified directions.

That said TM Balling Part C is an upgrade to my diy third part that I do recommend using.

Chloride being high and sulfur low is an indication if that imbalance from too much chliride dosed. But sulfur high too means your salinity is very high (assuming the values are accurate, which they may not be).

OP
OP
Salt Bank

Salt Bank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt was at 1.027 hannah tester on Sunday. You are correct about the first year. I didn't understand that 2 part. Needed a 3rd item to balance the salt out. Making mistakes to learn things the hard way. As to not forget them later in life. Guessing water change is the best way to fix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt was at 1.027 hannah tester on Sunday. You are correct about the first year. I didn't understand that 2 part. Needed a 3rd item to balance the salt out. Making mistakes to learn things the hard way. As to not forget them later in life. Guessing water change is the best way to fix?

I’d focus on salinity despite the reading. Those values are not consistent with sg = 1.027.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back