BRS Chloramine Monster and Bacterial Growth

Harry Muscle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone who uses the Bulk Reef Supply Chloramine Monster (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster.html) or a similar long lasting carbon filter has any issues with bacterial growth in the filter.

With my projected water use one of these filters would last me 5+ years and would be way cheaper to run than small 10" filters that need to be changed way more often. However I'm concerned about bacterial growth since the filter would be changed so rarely.

I was thinking of possibly yearly disinfecting the housing and air drying the carbon filter for a few days. Drying out completely should kill most bacteria I believe.

Thanks,
Harry

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. Bump for #reefsquad !!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone who uses the Bulk Reef Supply Chloramine Monster (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster.html) or a similar long lasting carbon filter has any issues with bacterial growth in the filter.

With my projected water use one of these filters would last me 5+ years and would be way cheaper to run than small 10" filters that need to be changed way more often. However I'm concerned about bacterial growth since the filter would be changed so rarely.

I was thinking of possibly yearly disinfecting the housing and air drying the carbon filter for a few days. Drying out completely should kill most bacteria I believe.

Thanks,
Harry
I wouldnt see anything wrong with this, i clean out my unit every couple months because i actually had a foul incident once before. Very good topic for discussion though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back