BRS Double reactor in a new tank

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a new tank which just finished cycling with 2 fish and CUC. I don't have any corals there yet. I would like to introduce carbon to my tank and I think I would like to do it in a reactor. I don't have plenty of space in my sump and I know that in the future most probably I will run GFO and bio pellets but not now for sure. So I am thinking to buy a BRS dual reactor and have carbon in first chamber and second one leave empty till I will need GFO.
Do you recommend different approach or it is good thing to do?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not start using carbon until you have a few corals in the tank as it should not be necessary now. I originally bought and used the brs dual reactor with carbon and GFO. I have since removed this and switched to the mini reactor to use only carbon. I would suggest the same as GFO does more harm than good. I bottomed out my phosphates using half the recommended amount of GFO and it caused issues with my tank. With the single reactor you can mix carbon and GFO as necessary or just remove the carbon and use GFO for a limited period of time to get your numbers in check.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the brs duel and it did help when fighting the ugly stage. I run a little carbon once a month and a little gfo as needed. I own a hanna ultra low phosphate tester. Works well. Keep my phosphates at .01 to < .1. When phosphate moves to .1 then use a little gfo. I have a refugium with the h380 light by kessil. Nitrates are very low. Cheto growth is good. 91 water volume Tank is 13 months old, 9 fish, LPS, mushrooms, zoas, goniopora, clam .... Birdsnest. Hope this helps. All doing ok.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back