BRS Edition Apex EL Monitor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so let me start by saying I completely understand from a business standpoint why BRS and Neptune Systems hooked up for this special edition Apex EL.

But is anybody seeing the same thing as me?

Here is a device that will let you know you have a problem, but you won't be able to do anything about it...at least not via the Apex...

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Apex and it's accessories (ATK, AFS, DOS x2, and Trident), so don't think I am knocking Neptune Systems or the Apex.

Maybe I am just not seeing the point of knowing there is a problem without letting the Apex help you out too?

orionstrident

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its for people who arent ready to make the $500 or $800 dollar jump. It is useful, in my case I have a Cor-20 and an ATK but havent bought a controller yet because I am waiting to see what Mobius and Vortech have to offer as i can easily just buy a vectra and new ATO but in the meantime $250 to get them connected and a little more monitoring isnt bad while I wait for Vortech to figure out what they are doing for my dosing and overall controller.

They also made a finite number of them. This isnt a continued product.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’ll be nice for hobbyists that don’t want a full-blown controller. I’d happily pay $250 to monitor my temperature and water levels with Fusion if I were an "old school" hobbyist that didn't want to buy and install a full-blown controller—I could still use features to monitor it for 1/3 of the price of a 2016 Apex or 1/2 of the price of an ApexEL. Also, the alarms are already programmed, which will be nice for hobbyists that are afraid to dig into programming and find controllers too complicated. Regularly, I see Facebook posts in Apex user groups and in #AskBRSTV about someone getting an Apex and being overwhelmed; this could ease them into the ecosystem.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is very good for Neptune. You have a lot of people that can’t afford the $800 for the full system. What I don’t understand is why didn’t they add a 4 port power strip like the apex JR.

This is a big f-u to all the other distributors of Neptune products. They already have very small margins and I am also sure everyone is tired with not having inventory of trident or reagents.
If I was a LFS I would be clearing out the Neptune product wall. Let BRS sell it.

I sure Neptune is also not happy that saltwater.com is selling other controllers.
BRS only sells Neptune.

Last edited:

Fishyjoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two smaller size reef tanks, one coral and one Anenome and Clownfish dominant. I have an Apex JR on each. The $250 price tag with 4 controllable outlets and a temp probe is perfect.

BRS should have brought back the JR instead of the Apex EL monitoring system.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two smaller size reef tanks, one coral and one Anenome and Clownfish dominant. I have an Apex JR on each. The $250 price tag with 4 controllable outlets and a temp probe is perfect.

BRS should have brought back the JR instead of the Apex EL monitoring system.
I think that would be much more reasonable and sensible. I have multiple Apex setups. My main one is a 2016, which there is also a 2016 on my wife's 20gal, and three classics and a Jr on tanks at work.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s expandable to a full EL ....seems like an attractive option for somebody starting with a ‘controller’.

Fishyjoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it’s expandable but the JR is already a controller, not just a monitor. To me, this means an upgrade (additional money) is not required for basic control of a small tank.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s expandable to a full EL ....seems like an attractive option for somebody starting with a ‘controller’.
I was looking at it some more last night, what I can currently see is that adding the EB832 will bring your total up to $500, the same as an ApexEL, and you also have the water level sensors...

So while I still don't see the need to monitor without control, it could potentially be a good bargain for someone already looking at buying an EL.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need this, and your rolling, lights and heater control is a must and I'm surprised it wasn't addressed
1580486605783.png

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think is a great idea. This plus the trident gets you pH, temp, Ca, Mg, Alk and water level monitoring for $850. Compare to the alkatronic, which i have had and liked, for $900 for only alk (but probably more accurate) for real time monitoring. Heck even most folk wanting the mindstream really wanted the big 3 plus a few others and were willing to drop 1K plus steep monthly charges. Plus this can be upgraded as you desire. Seems like a big win for the hobby.

Rik01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting one, I just bought the apex classic from a friend that upgraded because he bought the trident . Are the apex classic power bars compatible?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good option and actually the cheapest option for those classic owners upgrading just for Trident. It's a better deal than the Apex base unit ($399). This product is pretty much the Apex EL without the EB832. I bought an Apex EL ($499) and sold the EB832 for around $200, bringing my upgrade price down to around $300. This product is $50 cheaper than that plus you get the water level monitoring (whatever that night be worth) and no hassle of selling.

Bills beginning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have purchased this. I think for the available options out there it is a good entry level unit to get started. Yes it would have been nice if it was as capable as the Jr. But as with time you are going to add other options as you would with the 500 dollar unit, but to me this would be a more budget friendly way to go to at least to get your feet wet.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good option and actually the cheapest option for those classic owners upgrading just for Trident. It's a better deal than the Apex base unit ($399). This product is pretty much the Apex EL without the EB832. I bought an Apex EL ($499) and sold the EB832 for around $200, bringing my upgrade price down to around $300. This product is $50 cheaper than that plus you get the water level monitoring (whatever that night be worth) and no hassle of selling.

The water level monitoring assembly can be used as an ATO, if you combine the apex with an energy bar. In general nice float switches seem more reliable than optical sensors.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g nano that this makes sense for. This plus a $65 smart power strip Isn’t a bad start plus you can add modules later as you find the need.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back