BRS T5 Retrofit Kit question

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgvergo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
1,368
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 48"/54W T5 Retrofit Kit for my build. I was under the incorrect impression that the bulbs were actually less than 48". My aquarium is exactly 48" wide, so I don't think I can use a 48" bulb and fit it into my hood (which I am building).

Soooo, my question is can I use my existing kit with a 36" bulb, i.e. can I use the ballast with lower wattage bulbs.

Alternative question: Are there good bulbs that are in the 44-46 inch range?
 
You cannot use 36" bulbs with 54w kit. The kit comes with ballast for 54w bulbs and the 36" bulbs are 39w and will get fried.
 
If your aquarium is exactly 48" wide you should be able to fit the 48" retrofit kit with no problem. They list the bulbs as 48" but the actual length is slightly smaller. Are these going in a canopy?
 
Yes, they are going into a canopy. I thought I remembered reading that the bulbs are actually less than 48 inches. Do you know their exact length?
 
Fantastic!!! Thanks RFBF and Furam28
 
my canopy is 49 long and I have room to spare with the 48" t5 retro
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new