Bruneus Wrasse Aggression

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a question:

I have a 150g 5x2x2 reef, and have had an eightline flasher wrasse and Bruneus fairy wrasse for the past few months. The Bruneus wrasse in the past month has transitioned to a terminal phase male, and has become fairly aggressive to the flasher wrasse chasing him frequently. The flasher is still eating well.

Would adding more wrasse help to distribute the aggression? My plans were to add another fairy and 2 more flashers in the future. Right now my LFS has a beautiful red head Solon fairy that is coming out of quarantine, but I know they can be more aggressive. What are your thoughts?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a few more fairies and/or flashers will help disperse the brunneus' attention. I would avoid the solon fairy it will turn the tables on your brunneus and bully it . I would stick to more peaceful fairies like hooded, rhomboid, and exquisite. Any of the flasher wrasses would be compatible. If you're going to add one wrasse at a time to your established ones I would recommend the use of an acclimation box.

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adding a few more fairies and/or flashers will help disperse the brunneus' attention. I would avoid the solon fairy it will turn the tables on your brunneus and bully it . I would stick to more peaceful fairies like hooded, rhomboid, and exquisite. Any of the flasher wrasses would be compatible. If you're going to add one wrasse at a time to your established ones I would recommend the use of an acclimation box.
I whole heartly agree with SaltyT recomendation.

With similar species fish, odd numbers are always better. And adding mulitples at time will help with the agression. Now a days I always use a large acclimation box for new introductions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back