Brute

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two R/O storage container one is a glass aquarium and the other is a Rubbermade Brute 30 gallon trash can. The water stored in the Brute container within a few days develops an anoxic odor. The glass aquarium does not appear to do that.
Any reason why this happen with a PE container vs glass tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of a reason except perhaps surface are to volume ratio, or perhaps mildew likes to grow on the exposed plastic parts more than glass. I never had an objectionable odor with my Brute cans (grey, 44 gallon types).

OP
OP
ksed

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Thanks Randy.
I don’t have any form of circulation but that would be the same for the glass tank.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the aquarium open top and the Brute covered? Perhaps the Brute has a more air-tight seal.
I occasionally get a whiff of something off-smelling when I remove the cover of my SW container.

OP
OP
ksed

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have a lid on it to prevent evaporation but not air tight.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my Brutes are full, they are fine. But if I empty them and they are just a little bit wet, I get a bit of an odor after a few days with the lid on.

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the brute new? Maybe something is coated on the walls that is breaking down.

yak85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem using Brutes for holding RO water or instant ocean. Could try filling it up with water and a gallon of vinegar then rinse to clean it out. Used to do that twice a year with the Brute I used for holding my instant ocean.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is getting a bit old but my Brute's get a bad odor after a while, like the smell of wet clothes left in an airtight bag for to long. I even get a touch of mildew at the top. It has happened now at 2 different homes with completely different water supplies and I have changed out filter on my RO. Nothing seems to make a difference. Even tried running an airstone for some circulation. I am starting to think its the trash cans and I may look for a different type of storage container.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is getting a bit old but my Brute's get a bad odor after a while, like the smell of wet clothes left in an airtight bag for to long. I even get a touch of mildew at the top. It has happened now at 2 different homes with completely different water supplies and I have changed out filter on my RO. Nothing seems to make a difference. Even tried running an airstone for some circulation. I am starting to think its the trash cans and I may look for a different type of storage container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they are clean going in, IMO, its not the Brutes that "cause" it (I had 12x44 gallon brutes going at once for years and never had such an issue, but rather just the high humidity environment and availability of mildew spores, etc.

I actually don't think the smell is any issue for the tank, but maybe for your health. With that concern, some folks occasionally bleach them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back