Bryopsis & Green Hair Algae Flux RX results!!

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some report lots of arcos bleach and die after treatment, seems like no specific pattern.
I really dont know know what to do...now half my lps are shrunk to the bone , my powder blue looks drunk on the bottom in one spot and my water has such a green tint that my veiwing window on the pentair smart uv 40 is glowing bright green..instead of blue. some rocks look a little better, but i dont see any major dieoff anywhere that would cause the green tint ... my nitrates only went from 1 to 2 and my phos is at zero only running chaeto and still dosing aminos..so no sign of algae die off there either. the coating on my sand I cleaned off before dosing is coming back, but guessing thats cyano. My instinct when I see things going this south is to get my carbon & skimmer back on and get a water change going. Man I wish they had rapid overnight ICP.. I would love to see what I'm missing here.
Any thoughts or WWUD? Or WWJD? (What would JulianSprung Do?)

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont know know what to do...now half my lps are shrunk to the bone , my powder blue looks drunk on the bottom in one spot and my water has such a green tint that my veiwing window on the pentair smart uv 40 is glowing bright green..instead of blue. some rocks look a little better, but i dont see any major dieoff anywhere that would cause the green tint ... my nitrates only went from 1 to 2 and my phos is at zero only running chaeto and still dosing aminos..so no sign of algae die off there either. the coating on my sand I cleaned off before dosing is coming back, but guessing thats cyano. My instinct when I see things going this south is to get my carbon & skimmer back on and get a water change going. Man I wish they had rapid overnight ICP.. I would love to see what I'm missing here.
Any thoughts or WWUD? Or WWJD? (What would JulianSprung Do?)

well it is an anti-fungal medication with no scientific evidence that it directly kills algaes, somehow it kills bryopsis but no one can explain the microbial action that's going on. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying it's kind of a "wonder drug" because it makes you wonder what exactly it's doing in a tank.

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
32g tank...I’ve dosed all 10 now, first 4, then 3 more after a week, then another 3 after another week.

there’s one little patch where the ends have turned lighter. Hoping that’s the start of it working.
C5A7F9E7-F304-474A-B236-3058E58382A9.jpeg
wait u can dose it weekly?

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my best guess would be that when the bryopsis died off it released a lot of excess nutrients and fueled the growth of you GHA. I have also heard the GHA tale a lot longer to go away than bryopsis.
I had a cyano outbreak and as soon as I treated it, the GHA exploded. did the GHA go away in the end and your zoas return to normal? now I have what I am 99% sure is bryopsis and a new outbreak of GHA so I'm hoping this will work for me but can't decide on a brand

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230320_165645.jpg
20230320_165617.jpg

I'm about 10 days in to reef flux rx... still have tons of gha. Some white tips... some seems to be kind of melting and falling apart but most is still dark green and thick.

I'm tempted to start a second dose. Perhaps a bit stronger dose... I see that people report gha sometimes takes 4-6 weeks for it to really work... also see that acros may bleach... all my acros are growing just as strong as ever... so I'm thinking my dose wasn't strong enough.

Would elevated magnesium help move this along or no help? I'm low at about 1280 atm.

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230320_165645.jpg
20230320_165617.jpg

I'm about 10 days in to reef flux rx... still have tons of gha. Some white tips... some seems to be kind of melting and falling apart but most is still dark green and thick.

I'm tempted to start a second dose. Perhaps a bit stronger dose... I see that people report gha sometimes takes 4-6 weeks for it to really work... also see that acros may bleach... all my acros are growing just as strong as ever... so I'm thinking my dose wasn't strong enough.

Would elevated magnesium help move this along or no help? I'm low at about 1280 atm.
what did you end up doing? im about to does flux rx into my sps dominant tank

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I Purchased the Blue Life Flux RX And tried it on my 150 mixed reef. I had some Bryopsis but more GHA which I usually was able to control with Sea Hairs (sp) and watching my nutrient levels. Recently my GHA became more of a problem so I tried Flux RX. I removed as much of the green hair algae manually before dosing . I followed the directions to a T and 14 days later my GHA is stronger than ever but it did kill off all Bryopsis with 6 days. The only CORAL that was affected was some Zoas that lost their color and became somewhat pale but I’m hoping that will come back once some time passes. I just wanted to pass this on!
Did you run carbon media? Take out any carbon based media in your filter. It eats the protein in the treatment that goes to the algae

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back