Bryopsis: if you have it I want it

Ben McArthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I understand that in the Reefkeeping community Bryopsis is considered a major pest species. I am working with it on a graduate research project, and my supplies are running low. If any of you have it, I will gladly take as much as you can send. I am willing to pay for large and healthy quantities, but I will be paying out of pocket for my research project and cannot afford to pay much, but I will at least be able to reimburse shipping costs.

if you have other filamentous pest algae I am willing to take those as well.

If anyone is interested, please email me at my school email address ([email protected]) and we can arrange the details.

I need new algae before my current supplies run out in order to continue my project, so I would appreciate anyone who can send anything quickly.

Thank you,
Ben McArthur

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.
Not much bryopsis. We're fairly good at eradicating it. Lots of derbesia, if you are interested.
Curious what you are working on, if you don't mind me asking.

OP
OP
B

Ben McArthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.
Not much bryopsis. We're fairly good at eradicating it. Lots of derbesia, if you are interested.
Curious what you are working on, if you don't mind me asking.

My project has to do with the diet of the sea slug E. chrispata, and it's ability to take in chloroplasts and use them to photosynthesize. We know Bryopsis is one of the primary food algae in the wild, but they also eat several similar (filamentous) algae, so I would be willing to give Derbesia and other a shot too.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Very cool. A while back I remember running across something in a forum context where somebody was raising and breeding these, possibly for sale. Their interest came across as research/academic, and they had decent info about which algae were better/ worse.
I'll poke around and see if I imagined that or not.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. 2 of my reefing buddies are battling Bryopsis right now. Too bad we’re so far away.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont happen to be a U of M student are you? An intern in my lab, who is now full time, studied the same kind if thing in college at the U of M.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Err nevermind, I just noticed your email address.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I remember running across something in a forum context where somebody was raising and breeding these, possibly for sale. Their interest came across as research/academic, and they had decent info about which algae were better/ worse.
I'll poke around and see if I imagined that or not.

Found what I was thinking of.
elysia clarki for sale (reefcentral thread)

That was from this same group at Maryland that was mentioned earlier:
Solar Sea Slug Blog
They are super fascinating, and that site is a great read.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back