Bryopsis

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebooted my previous system due to some issues including bryopsis. The new systems been up for six months and is actually doing well. However, the bryopsis found its way back in after a complete reboot. I’ve been trying to smother it with putty, super glue over it, and cutting the rock it’s on with bone cutters. It’s starting to sprout throughout the rock work and I don’t want to lose control.

I see there are tons of articles about fluconazole but I’m not really finding what I’m looking for. Does it have a long term effect on coral health and zooxanthellae? I reallyyy don’t want to deal with bryopsis again but I also don’t want to screw up the balance of a new tank starting to hit a stride and jeopardize what I’m trying to keep healthy, the corals.

I’ll get some pictures when the lights are back on tomorrow

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of people who've reported using fluconazole have had great success. I've used it twice (several years ago) and the only thing I lost was the macroalgae in my refugium -- which makes sense since bryopsis is also a macro. Fluconazole is an antifungal medication that also affects the cell membrane of some plants. It's not an antibiotic. I've never heard of it affecting zooxanthellae.

Hope this helps.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of the original R2R threads on fluconazole for bryopsis...

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of people who've reported using fluconazole have had great success. I've used it twice (several years ago) and the only thing I lost was the macroalgae in my refugium -- which makes sense since bryopsis is also a macro. Fluconazole is an antifungal medication that also affects the cell membrane of some plants. It's not an antibiotic. I've never heard of it affecting zooxanthellae.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I can’t deal with bryopsis again and it’s aggressively spreading

TheSharksDen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with it for a few months now. I started hand picking, tried snails, fish, etc. I put a dose in about 4 days ago and some of it I was unable to remove is pulling off now! I was told by local store to give it up to 14 days. Every thing looks fine (fish and corals). I’ll update in the next 2 weeks how it worked for me.

Good luck.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bryopsis has literally exploded over the past couple weeks. I’ve tried everything to not have to use fluconozole. From manual removal while syphoning, epoxying over patches, and gluing frags over it. It obviously hasn’t worked and has grown and spread so quickly, it’s smothering corals.

I’m going to manually pull has much as I can tomorrow, do a decent size water change, and dose the reef flux.

My corals are mostly acropora frags, euphyllia with some other sps and few lps.

Should I do a full dose or half dose? I’m going to try and update often throughout the treatment.
IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0633.jpeg

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't pulled it all / started treatment yet, could I buy some mostly intact chunks of live bryopsis from you? Especially if you can get the base of it as intact as possible (or if it's on a small rock or something else you can pull straight out that's even better.)

If it is bryopsis - looks like it from the growth pattern but I can't 100% tell without a close up of the thallus - it's some of the nicest looking I've seen on here. Sorry, I know this isn't helpful for your predicament or probably what you want to hear.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't pulled it all / started treatment yet, could I buy some mostly intact chunks of live bryopsis from you? Especially if you can get the base of it as intact as possible (or if it's on a small rock or something else you can pull straight out that's even better.)

If it is bryopsis - looks like it from the growth pattern but I can't 100% tell without a close up of the thallus - it's some of the nicest looking I've seen on here. Sorry, I know this isn't helpful for your predicament or probably what you want to hear.
Sorry I didn’t see this but buying bryopsis would be new to me lol I would’ve sent you a ton. Unfortunately for you and fortunately for me, I nuked it. That stuff was so aggressive. Curious what you were going to do with it?

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebooted my previous system due to some issues including bryopsis. The new systems been up for six months and is actually doing well. However, the bryopsis found its way back in after a complete reboot. I’ve been trying to smother it with putty, super glue over it, and cutting the rock it’s on with bone cutters. It’s starting to sprout throughout the rock work and I don’t want to lose control.

I see there are tons of articles about fluconazole but I’m not really finding what I’m looking for. Does it have a long term effect on coral health and zooxanthellae? I reallyyy don’t want to deal with bryopsis again but I also don’t want to screw up the balance of a new tank starting to hit a stride and jeopardize what I’m trying to keep healthy, the corals.

I’ll get some pictures when the lights are back on tomorrow
Send me some please if it comes back

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bryopsis has literally exploded over the past couple weeks. I’ve tried everything to not have to use fluconozole. From manual removal while syphoning, epoxying over patches, and gluing frags over it. It obviously hasn’t worked and has grown and spread so quickly, it’s smothering corals.

I’m going to manually pull has much as I can tomorrow, do a decent size water change, and dose the reef flux.

My corals are mostly acropora frags, euphyllia with some other sps and few lps.

Should I do a full dose or half dose? I’m going to try and update often throughout the treatment.
IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0633.jpeg
man thats a pretty tank ..

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day six and it has mostly receded already. No ill effects or even raise in alkalinity Kind of surprised by that. Going to let the treatment keep riding out.
IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg

Reefolution

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really good luck with Blue Life Flus Rx. I followed the directions and the bryopsis never returned.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today

I mean maybe, you’re the second one to ask. What are people doing with it? Hopefully it doesn’t come back
I had a breeding populations of lettuce seaslugs for a while and would love to do that again. This is essentially the only thing they eat and i could not grow it fast enough last time

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 137 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back